bruce johnson

Charles Collins Stitching Horse

I recently had the opportunity to buy an old stitching horse from the original owner’s grandson. I got it yesterday and put it back together. The original owner was Charles Collins. Mr. Collins was born in Texas in 1879 and moved 1895. He worked for several of the top saddle shops of the day – DE Walker (Of Visalia fame), PB Lady, Frazier, Frank Meanea, Victor Marden, Jepson, and Burkhard and Son. These were the real top tier shops and innovators of the times. He opened his own shop in Globe, AZ in 1914. He moved to Prescott in 1936, and back to Globe in 1941. He continued the shop there until at least 1956. He died in 1962 and according to his grandson was building right up to the end. .

In a few places I have read he was described as an authority on cowboy history and lore – another of my interests. It is written that he was friends with Zane Grey. He bought the ranch that Zane Grey’s cabin was on, but did not personally know him. He did correspond with J Frank Dobie, Ross Santee, and Walt Coburn.

I got the stitching horse yesterday and got it put back together. It is rock solid, and works well. My other horse is a left footer, so this one will take a little getting used to. It is a little higher and the contour and shape of the seat is a dead-on perfect fit. I am proud and honored to have it.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

post-29-127031816361_thumb.jpg

post-29-12703181939_thumb.jpg

post-29-12703182046_thumb.jpg

post-29-127031821663_thumb.jpg

post-29-127031823035_thumb.jpg

Thats really cool. Great find and must say it doesnt look overly worn at all.

That is a interesting tensioner that it has on it. Far different then the others I have scene.

That's a pretty standard configuration for a saddlemaker's stitching horse including the tensioning spring.

Great stitching horse!!!! Interesting from a historical standpoint...we had one of his saddles that was unceremoniously acquired by someone else...

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ben

Thats pretty cool, thanks for the info. Ive only scene the one version with the little teeth brackets or whatever they are called and a few variations of the stitching ponies.

Hey Bruce, that is really a nice piece! It is always nice to aquire an old piece of equipment that has been kept up. Amazing how it just works ....better! Guess that is because there is something to be said for "the old fashioned way"! I know that you will use it with the care it deserves.

Bondo Bob

Bruce, Very nice! I'm glad it has gone to someone like you who will not only appreciate it for it's history, but use it as it was intended. The best of both worlds!

Great loooking horse, Bruce. I was able to find an old one about a year ago and just started to use it. Now I don't know what I did without it. I would much rather have an old one than a new one.

As a side note, I have found an older horse at an antique shop here that is priced at $85.00. Anyone interested can contact me and I'll get some pictures and send them. I require no finders fee, only the price and shipping.