Gill3041

Hello From Leeds, Uk

I've just joined this site and am looking forward to reading all the forum posts and learning plenty! I have been working with leather for around 7 years and mostly make bags using traditional saddle stitching method. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to questions although I do consider myself to be an amateur rather than a pro leather worker!

Gill

post-61006-0-58740800-1427035117_thumb.j

post-61006-0-49374800-1427035134_thumb.j

Hello Gill and welcome to the forum!

Hello Gill, i am not too far awy from you in Huddersfield, i wish you had a picture of the first lighter brown bag opened up so i could see the inside pocket, i made a similar bag for my wife but she now wants another bag making with an inside pocket like yours, would love to see how you attatched it.

Hi Jazzman! I will find another pic of the bag and post it for you. It's attached to the front of the bag in the style of a traditional satchel - I sew the gusset onto the pocket front and then sew that gusset onto th front panel of the bag. Hope that makes sense!

Do you sell at any fairs in Yorkshire?

Gill

No Gill, i am not up to that standard yet, only been leathering for a few months, i have just put some pics up in the gallery for the first time if you want to see my work. Can you recommend some good craft fairs to visit.

Also Gill, if you fancy a good chat about leatherwork, i have been going on chat near to midnight lately, leatherwytch and double c and squrelly have been on at that time and we have a good old chat and a laugh, you should join us if you want.

Hi again - just looked at your work and it's great! Really nice stitching and designs. I have had a break from selling at fairs for about 4 years - when the recession hit people just didn't have the money to spend on my stuff anymore, so I gave it up. But I'm thinking of trying it out again later this year once I've built some stock up again. How did you get into leather work?

I have got into leatherwork because of a disability which affects my mobility, i played jazz and blues guitar for 40 plus years but can no longer play in bands and the like, i also had to give up work. So after feeling sorry for myself for a few years i realized i needed a new outlet for my creative energy. When i was very young i got into a bit of trouble with the law and was sent to a kind of attendance centre as punishment, it actually turned out to be great as we did leatherwork and glasswork so after doing a bit of research on you tube and buying a couple of books i decided to give it a go and i have to say i am truly hooked on it. Just before i scare you off that was the one and only time i ever got into trouble with the law , i have been a perfect angel for the last 39 or so years.How about you?

Sorry when i say how about you i was asking how you got into leatherwork, not if you had ever been in any trouble,lol.

I thought you must be a musician when I saw your user name - that's a shame you aren't able to play in your band any more, but good you have found your way back to the leather! I was playing around making really simple belts and stuff and selling on Etsy - there was a seller on there who's work was fantastic and we got chatting in the forums. I had a side of Dr Marten oxblood leather (you must remember the boots that were so in fashion in the late 70's and 80's?) and asked him if I posted him the leather would he make me a bag from it. He flatly refused but said that if I fancied driving down to Somerset with the leather he would teach me how to make one. I had absolutely no doubt that my attempt at making a bag would be a disaster, but thought, what the hell and went. Spent 2 days with Bill, learned everything that I could in the time from pattern making, cutting, stitching etc etc and made a fantastic bag (I put a pic of it in my original forum post). I took the bag to work the following day to show everyone what I'd been up to (show off!) and one of the contractors made me a cash offer I couldn't refuse. And that's where it started. To this day I still don't own one of my own bags!

Gill your bags look quite good. Your stitching seems very well. Do you burnish your edges? If not you may want to thing about it as it will add some detailed look to the bag. Jazz is right you should stop in for chat we have a few that build or have built hand bags, you pick up a trick or two.

Good Luck,

Squirrelly

Yes i do remember Docs, can you still buy them i wonder, hello squirrel.

Hey Gill, just found these,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martens-1460z-Cherry-Red-Smooth/dp/B0007PQ13I/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1427148459&sr=1-4&key

Hi Squirelly - Thanks for the feedback. I don't work with veg tan often so don't burnish edges. I like the raw edges and work this into my designs

Gill

Hi Jazzman - that's them. They are now made in China rather than Nottingham!

Well, i am off for a bath now(sorry if that is a bit too much info), but it was nice to meet you Gill, hope we can chat again soon maybe in the chatroom on this forum later on of you can make it. I have been complaining that there are not enough English leaherworkers around here, so it will be fab if you can stay around here as a fellow Yorkshire leathercrafter. Take care and bye for now.

Will do Jazzman - speak soon. Enjoy your soak!

Welcome Gill, great bags, a bit ambitious for me yet!