NoahL

Long Eyelets

Hello everyone,

As you may or may not have seen, I have been making sheaths lately. Well, I would like to add holes for paracord to some of the sheaths I make at some point, and as of right now I can do that, but I don't have any eyelets to reinforce them. I can leave them glued with Barge, or I could even stitch around them, but those things don't really improve wear resistance or prevent stretch. All of the eyelets I have found are too short to go through three or four layers of 7-9oz leather. Does anyone know where to get eyelets long enough for that? Preferably somewhere other than Ohio Travel Bag, because I don't need $75 worth of eyelets :P

Thanks!

~Noah

Hello everyone,

As you may or may not have seen, I have been making sheaths lately. Well, I would like to add holes for paracord to some of the sheaths I make at some point, and as of right now I can do that, but I don't have any eyelets to reinforce them. I can leave them glued with Barge, or I could even stitch around them, but those things don't really improve wear resistance or prevent stretch. All of the eyelets I have found are too short to go through three or four layers of 7-9oz leather. Does anyone know where to get eyelets long enough for that? Preferably somewhere other than Ohio Travel Bag, because I don't need $75 worth of eyelets tongue.gif

Thanks!

~Noah

Hi Noah,

This is my first post here on this wonderful forum.

I might be able to help you out, I have a lifetime supply of eyelets

They are 1/2" long ,1/4 " dia., .024 wall , brass or tin plate I use them on a handle that I make.

If they are two long perhaps they can be cut down.

Here`s a link showing the handle that they are used on.

http://machinistches...d=55&item_id=23

Hope this helps, John

Hi Noah,

This is my first post here on this wonderful forum.

I might be able to help you out, I have a lifetime supply of eyelets

They are 1/2" long ,1/4 " dia., .024 wall , brass or tin plate I use them on a handle that I make.

If they are two long perhaps they can be cut down.

Here`s a link showing the handle that they are used on.

http://machinistches...d=55&item_id=23

Hope this helps, John

Hi John,

They are a tad larger than I was looking for, but that doesn't mean they won't work--I'd love to try out some of them if you would be willing to sell me some. I probably only need about 50 or so at the moment. Shoot me a PM and let me know. Thanks!

~Noah

How intresting,

Y`all probably can use some punches for the round over, a 32end radious in the corner works great and the same for a supporting nest underneath ,I started out with a hammer and a punch at first. Now I have a 6" air cylinder set up and about 150 PSI .

A nice round over takes about 3/64" for the clinch allowance plus your work thickness, however leather is a bit more forgiving.

Ya know, it took me over two years to develop the process for my handles and I`m still learning . I wish I had been aware of LW five years ago. I can`t read enough at this time. There `s some creative works goen on around here.

Thanks John

Edited by machinistchest

I got the eyelets from John on Monday, but I need a setter for them, so it'll take me a while before I can use them and post it up. Thanks for the hookup, John!

~Noah