Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Dreibus

Leather Source Sought Near Marion Or Morganton, Nc

I realize that this is a shot in the dark, but I need to find a local leather supplier in or near Marion or Morganton, NC. I know of Jackson's in Asheville (about 50 miles) and that there are a few places in Hickory, but I would like to find one more local.

Forgive me if I don't know all of the trade terms and subtleties which accompany leatherwork. I am a leatherworker only by default because some of the antique carburetors which I restore in the course of my work require small leather components such as seals, air valve stoppers and accelerator pump cups. I buy relatively small pieces of leather, usually no more than 325 sq. in.; such a quantity often lasts me for years.

At the moment, I specifically need black leather of fairly smooth grain on one side and close to the .162" thickness I have been using; perhaps that is a nominal 3/16" size in the leather community. Can anyone provide a local lead? Failing that, does anyone have any smallish scraps of such a description which they wish to sell?

Jeff Dreibus

The Old Carb Doctor

Edited by Jeff Dreibus

I realize that this is a shot in the dark, but I need to find a local leather supplier in or near Marion or Morganton, NC. I know of Jackson's in Asheville (about 50 miles) and that there are a few places in Hickory, but I would like to find one more local.

Forgive me if I don't know all of the trade terms and subtleties which accompany leatherwork. I am a leatherworker only by default because some of the antique carburetors which I restore in the course of my work require small leather components such as seals, air valve stoppers and accelerator pump cups. I buy relatively small pieces of leather, usually no more than 325 sq. in.; such a quantity often lasts me for years.

At the moment, I specifically need black leather of fairly smooth grain on one side and close to the .162" thickness I have been using; perhaps that is a nominal 3/16" size in the leather community. Can anyone provide a local lead? Failing that, does anyone have any smallish scraps of such a description which they wish to sell?

Jeff Dreibus

The Old Carb Doctor

Jeff,

The leather industry jargon for the leather thickness would be very close to 10 oz leather, that measures out at .15625". That is very thick leather about the size you would use for a very stiff holster. Jeans Belts are normally 8-9 oz and would be .125 - .140". Leather thickness is measured in inches and 1/64" = 1 Oz. That doesn't help in your search but it may help you in ordering leather if you have to go internet or phone. A great place to call would be Springfield Leather Co, they are a sponsor on this site and sell leather by the square foot, split to the exact thickness you want. They are great to deal with and very knowledgeable and will probably work through this for you very easily.

Ken

Jeff,

The leather industry jargon for the leather thickness would be very close to 10 oz leather, that measures out at .15625". That is very thick leather about the size you would use for a very stiff holster. Jeans Belts are normally 8-9 oz and would be .125 - .140". Leather thickness is measured in inches and 1/64" = 1 Oz. That doesn't help in your search but it may help you in ordering leather if you have to go internet or phone. A great place to call would be Springfield Leather Co, they are a sponsor on this site and sell leather by the square foot, split to the exact thickness you want. They are great to deal with and very knowledgeable and will probably work through this for you very easily.

Ken

Thanks, Ken; I will check Springfield Leather out.

Jeff

Have you checked Zack White Leather Co. they are in the Heart of N C. they are also an advertizer on the L W .and great folks.

Have you checked Zack White Leather Co. they are in the Heart of N C. they are also an advertizer on the L W .and great folks.

No I haven't, Luke; I'll be sure to check them out as well. Thanks!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Dreibus