jpherold

Quality Brass 3/8" Grommets For Think Leather (4/5Oz)?

Greetings,

Quick version: I'm starting up a project which calls for a 3/8" hole to be reinforced with a brass grommet. Note: the desired ID would be 3/8" (trying to preserve a specific allowance). The other important bit is that I am using thin tooling leather, 4/5oz. Grommet requirements would be high-quality and all brass, USA made preferred. Any recommendations?

Details: After some research on grommets, Stimpson caught my eye on thomas registry. Made in USA goods, founded 1852, all types of product, etc. Ordered a grommet catalog and had my eye on a self-piercing model but had a question about their L.U.F (length under flange) measurement. I called their sales reps, who told me that the L.U.F + 1/16" would be the recommended thickness for that grommet. For their 3/8" grommet this would be ~0.2625". Using Herman Oaks thickness guide, 4/5oz (.0625-.078125") leather would not work. I tried to communicate this to the reps and creatively figure out a solution but they weren't much help. Their basic response was that as the ID hole got bigger so does the L.U.F. They did offer to try and set the grommet for me if I sent in a scrap, but I figured there has to be a product to fit my requirements.

I've found this post about adding eyelets to suede, which transitioned to recommending grommets, and a couple tips on looking at sailing grommets for canvas, tarp, or the like. Also this post, which said Harbor Freight is a good place to go. I will follow up on all of those tips, but wanted to hear if anyone specifically has used grommets with my thickness of leather (~4/5oz)? I like working with USA based companies like Stimpson as I will be buying in bulk and like supporting domestic made goods.

Cheers!

Amazon. Lord & Hodge USA makes awesome heavy duty grommets I use regularly, not like the light weight thin grommets you find elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Hodge-1073A-2-Grommet-Kit/dp/B00004Y690/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1411413678&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=lord+%26+hodge+3%2F8+inch+grommet

The cutter is crap though, so hopefully you have a 3/8" punch. If you need bulk, id contact them directly though. http://www.lordandhodge.com

Thanks for the tip! I will investigate the company some more and give them a call. Have you used their grommets with win materials by chance @coreysyms? I like the

I also have called Fasnap in the time since my post and one of their reps told me that their self-piercing "#2 will compress down to basically the thickness of a piece of paper with the correct dies". May send a sample in there for testing, and also want to figure out if they are manufactured in the US. The rep's comment though is making me wonder if most self-piercing models can compress down more than non self-piercing. In which case I may bring Stimpson back into the picture as well.

Fasnap said a "sheet of paper" thickness? that is .1mm. point. one. mm. anything that thin which I'm guessing is dramatized, or even close to that thickness I wouldn't consider "heavy duty"

Lord & Hodge grommets are the type that the male end is hammered and curled to lock in the washer, it is pretty thin, but not paper thin. I'd say about the thickness of a nickel. It takes me a good 15 to 30 secs of hammering to get it set so that tells you the weight of the metal. I'm guessing you have a kick press or hand press to set so you can prob get it slimmer than I can. Ive used them with heavy canvas, 12 - 14 oz. and leather around the 8 - 9 oz range. Never any problems.

IMHO self piercing will prob give you more issues than convenience. I can imagine the leather pulling around the circle leaving creases as it tries to pierce the leather, perhaps even making the hole a touch larger than the fitting, which will end up pulling out over time.

Have you thought about eyelets instead? Kinda the same as a grommet but typically smaller and thinner, used as reinforcement, the same as a grommet, but a bit more "decretive" because the eyelet has a flatter and more "attractive" flange. Not sure what your end use for the hole is but a good rule of thumb for use between is: Eyelets are used to reinforce the hole and protect the material it incases, while grommets do the same with the added benefit of reinforcing the stress placed on the hole from attachments to it, like a snap hook.

Just my 2 cents.

Definitely dramatization by Fasnap, but made note of that after my experience talking with Stimpson. Also made me ponder if somehow due to the design of self-piercing models they are able to compress thinner than the listed L.U.F measurement. Most likely I would always pre-cut the hole for exactly the issues you mentioned no matter the type of grommet I used.

Sounds like I may have to just stop theorizing and breaking down salesman differences, and order some samples for real life testing! Your experience with the Lord & Hodge grommets sound like exactly what I am after. Quality metal and they can compress down to thinner material. I've seen it recommended before that you cut your hole slightly smaller than the listed inner diameter of the grommet neck. In your experience Corey, do you normally just cut the size of the hole listed? Material makes a difference I'd imagine, so curious especially for leather.

Also, although the end use won't be high stress or require much reinforcement, I prefer the similar width and finish to both sides of a set grommet. Both sides of the leather where the grommet goes will be finished and have designs.