Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

Rifle Leather

I'm really proud of this group, any critiques are welcomed.

post-19170-059632900 1326165967_thumb.jp

post-19170-028144400 1326165972_thumb.jp

post-19170-036532800 1326165979_thumb.jp

post-19170-013436300 1326165985_thumb.jp

post-19170-000412300 1326165990_thumb.jp

Nice! Inspirational! Like the color and how they all fit well with the rifle. Simple yet classy design.

Now just needs a little cheek grease on that butt stock leather. :}

Bill

Thank you Bill, your words are greatly appreciated. They went to a new home today where I know they will be well loved and worn, fellow has 4 rifles (same rifle, different calibers) he wanted to swap around the sling on with the same cuff for each.

Was a fun project and I hated to see them go.

Edited by Eaglestroker

Very nice work. I'd like to make a few of those myself. Trying to wrap my mind on making the patter for the stocks. Also the bullet holders is that one strip of leather sown in between each shell or individual pieces for each shell?

Very nice work. I'd like to make a few of those myself. Trying to wrap my mind on making the patter for the stocks. Also the bullet holders is that one strip of leather sown in between each shell or individual pieces for each shell?

Blazin,

Thank you for the compliments. They are really pretty simple to make. It takes me more time to stamp the border than anything else. For the pattern I have one basic pattern I build all of them off of when I start a new rifle. Basically sit a piece of paper under the rifles stock and trace it. This is your pattern for both sides plus a little in the middle.

The loops are all one pieces, same as sewn ammo loops on a cowboy belt. I sew them on a machine so It's up one side then under the loop across, then back across the strap. I measure before hand using the width of the cartridge + + two times the width of the leather (each side of the loop. You'll also need to determine the width each loop will approximately take up which I do my simply mocking up the loop and taking measurements. This will tell you how many loops you can get in a given area.

I included a flat photo to help in the visual. What I'm learned from early pieces is that it's better to have the pieces shorter than longer. It will stretch over time so you want to be able to keep tightening the laces.

d0f90d35.jpg

-Robert

More beautiful work there, Eaglestroker! Man, I gotta quit opening your rifle leather posts. I'm getting a severe case of rifle envy. :yes: I love that lever action!!!!

Edited by Rhide

More beautiful work there, Eaglestroker! Man, I gotta quit opening your rifle leather posts. I'm getting a severe case of rifle envy. :yes: I love that lever action!!!!

Thank you Rhide, I've grown quite fond of that rifle myself. I do a lot of horse trading with my leather among friends which is how I got that rifle.