rfkoen

Kenmore Model 48 For Leather?

I have a chance to get a Kenmore model 48 from the late 50's early 60's at a great price (under $50, and it is a single owner machine belonging to the mom of a co-worker!) I currently do all my sewing by hand, but recently found a buyer for leather journals and pocket notebooks. I need to cut the sewing time and wondered if this machine could handle sewing 2 pieces of 2-3 oz veg tanned leather together. Anyone familiar with this machine and whether or not it will handle that type of leather?

While technically it can make stitches in the leather.....it won't sew it like you're thinking. Not enough machine.

If you haven't done so, please read Wizcrafts' post (pinned topic in the sewing machine forum) about what type machine you'll need.

I did read Wizcrafts' post, and unfortunately I'm too much of a beginner at machine sewing to really understand the recommendations. Maybe if I spend more time on this forum I can start to make more sense of it. Thanks!

Here is the sad and honest truth. If it does not cost a lot of money it won't work. You likely will spend more money trying to save money than if you save up and get one that works.

Been there, done that. No way, Jose. In the words of Frank Zappa: "Forrrrrr get it." (Suzy Creamcheese)

Get an industrial walking foot machine.

I think I can speak for most of in saying that we're not trying to dash your hopes; we're trying to save you the time and money that we've already spent. I think it was Art (one of our moderators) that said the following: " Save up and get enough machine to begin with. If you hand stitch everything in the mean time, you'll save faster."

Many of our members have followed the advice above and are quite happy with their industrial machines. A lot more members have started with a home machine, and are now quite happy with their industrial machine.