rectifier

Tooled Holster - Best Practice?

Haven't worked any leather in awhile and I've only lurked these forums, but I am digging out the tools for the upcoming Canadian winter and have a question.

I've decided to make my first holster, a tooled holster for my pest shooter (.177 Crosman Vigilante) with mice and sparrows rampant along with some western floral. It's a nice big gun so there should be plenty of room for an interesting design. I've read around and can't find the best procedure for a relatively complex tooling on a curved object like a holster.

Most I've heard is:

- tool first and have it ruined in the forming

- tool after and have to go around the curves of the gun, hard to apply the pattern and you need to block it with something (maybe the gun itself?)

Any input would be useful. I've seen pics of some great holsters out there so I know it is possible!

Also, this will be my first time wet forming too as I have only ever made flat items before. Not sure if I should make a plain holster first to try out the process before I do all the tooling work.

Tooling and forming are like speed and power, . . . you can have one for sure, . . . but the more of the other you want, . . . the less of the first you will get.

Unless you are an absolute, dyed in the wool, # 1, expert.

Aside from that, . . . you will make the choice, . . . based on how much of which you want the most. It really is that simple.

There are some guys who have tooled leather longer than most of us have been on the planet, . . . they can do what you want to do, . . . and when you have tooled leather that long, . . . you will be also able.

Until then, . . . learn how to make holsters first, . . . then learn how to decorate them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sounds like, Dwight has given you real good advise ! Learn each step well, as leatherworking is a progression of steps.

As you progress it will all come into better focus.

However, you can do several steps at once, but, not all will be on an even keel. Hope we haven't discouraged you ?

Your idea of just a plain holster to begin with is a good idea ! Good luck to you --------------- Wild Bill46

It would be a lie to say I wasn't a little discouraged... but I suspect I would be more discouraged if I were to waste tens of hours on tooling only to ruin it in the forming!

Thanks for telling it like it is, I will start with a plain holster and if when it is finished it has a large and flat enough section I may try to carve a simple motif on it after forming. That way it won't be 100% plain like a store bought item, but will still be simple enough to be achievable.