Gamekeeper

Edges...............again!

Hi Folks,

I have a question for the edge slickers out there.

I make a lot of dog leads & collars & I am wondering what the best / most durable solution for slicking the edges.

My current trusty dog lead has feathery edges. It is made from a strip of bridle butt & so far I've tried;

1. Soaking & slicking

2. Edge kote

3. gum trag

4. Heat!!

Anyone got any tips for finishing my leads?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Top right hand corner...use the search button......you'll find a bunch of threads regarding edges, but Mr. Bob Park's solution has just about the best recipe for your issue.

Good luck

Gamekeeper, I make dog harness and leashes and until recently I was also having issues with my edges "feathering" over time. I followed hidepounder's posted instructions on edge finishing, almost to the letter, and haven't had an issue since (it's been about two weeks and no sign of feathering on my test harness / leash). I've been using gum trag since I started but the additional steps of sanding and the use of parrifin has made a huge difference.

Hidepounder = Mr. Bob Park.

Thanks for all the fast replies.

I too have read the indicated post BUT the only stage I didn't do was the parrifin.

Time to read over the thread again methinks.

@Mijo, do you have any pics of finished leads?

Many thanks

Dave

Thanks for all the fast replies.

I too have read the indicated post BUT the only stage I didn't do was the parrifin.

Time to read over the thread again methinks.

@Mijo, do you have any pics of finished leads?

Many thanks

Dave

I'll post a picture of my working test lead, the one that I used hidepounder's techique, to this thread when I get back home as I'll need to change the file size in CS4.

Many thanks,

are the edges durable & long lasting?

Dave

post-19825-073182300 1310522440_thumb.jp

the black latigo lead is finished with hidepounder's posted techique and has about two weeks of twice daily use. the pink bridle lead is finished without the benifit of sanding and the application pariffin, this lead has had several months of twice daily use. I had a black lead that was finished exactly like the pink lead and was as about as old, which has since been donated, but it looked worse than the pink. granted the pictured black lead only has two weeks of use, but it shows no sign of feathering.

Thanks for the picture, I think I have worked out where I'm going wrong.

Bevelling before sanding & no parrafin.

Just out of interest, how thick in mm are those leads?

I think I'll have a task ahead of me - I use 4.8mm thick leather, so I will need to set something up for a quick effect - maybe a drill in a vice!

the pink lead is 9-10oz and the black is 10-11oz, which i think is less than 4.8mm. i use a drill and vice set up to finish edges as it saves a lot of time.

Thanks for the pics.

Will need to get myself a jig & beveller setup.

Cheers

Dave