Sign in to follow this  
PAMuzzle

Kimber Solo Holster With Ostrich Skin

I am a new member and new to leather working. I need a little assistance. I have just started making western style holsters for myself. My brother saw the photo of my first and asked me to make him a holster for his Kimber Solo. He bought me a Blue Gun and a full ostrich skin.

Any suggestions on a pattern and how to use the Ostrich skin?

He's looking for a right hand carry Outside the waistband (OWB).

He told me to make a couple one with belt loops, one with belt clip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-24334-0-84781400-1351849731_thumb.j

There are some good pattern tutorials on youtube and in this section of the forum. I suggest you read/watch all of them before you begin. It's not hard but you really need to have an idea and I'm not going to recreate the wheel. The other option is to find a kit like the tandy auto pistol kit and use that. It's a bit generic, but with some embellishment, it makes a great holster. Come on back and ask specific questions once you understand the basic process and we'll be happy to offer guidance.

I have nothing to add regarding ostrich other than to be SURE before you cut/glue that your pattern is correct. I recently made a lefty rig by accident.

Here is the tandy kit straight out of the box:

BECFDFCB-4B24-4B16-9E36-F2DE3DDDBA13-6322-0000038B5D78FDF3_zpsdc90ddb2.jpg

Here is one I made some improvements on:

IMG_5461.jpg

Edited by immiketoo

For the ostrich....if it's actual ostrich and not 'ostrich print on vegtan', you'll probably see more life from the holster if you use the ostrich as an overlay. That means build the base holster from vegtan then glue and sew the ostrich on top of it.

Here's the results from one of our members: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43152&hl=ostrich

From the grump; This happens to be ostrich shin (leg) leather as an inlay, but quil ostrich can be used in the same manner. Mike

001-3-1.jpg

DO yourself a huge favor and google adams leatherwork, go to his site and click on his how its made link..Eric provides great tutorials on how to make a pattern and shows his process for the actual creation...hands down the best how-to ive ever seen...he goes by the name Particle on here...

+1 what renegadelizard suggests. I've watched Eric's video's dozens of times. Search and read everything you can find on this forum...finishing edges, inlays, tooling, finishes, etc. I've been on here regularly for almost a year and still find new stuff.

Thanks. The ostrich just arrived and it is a full REAL ostrich skin. About 4x4 feet.

I watched the videos but will watch them several times before I start.