wolvenstien

Is this a good machine and price?

Well, it looks like an alright machine. It looks like a Chiness machine, thats alright though. The parts will be easy to get. From looking at their feedback, they're good sellers with good customer service. Thats what has been reported. They sell lots of machines.

If you think this machine will work for your application. It looks good to me. The compound feed is clearly a plus. The extra option, with servo motor would really be good idea, if the budget fits. Your call.

The only thing you might wanna consider is shipping. How close is it? Can u pick it up? Can you find the same thing closer? Nobody ships these things for cheap. figure about 100 -200 for shipping. Besides, if you can find a sales store that has that machine closer to you, so you can try it before you buy. Thats clearly the best way to go.

Compound feed is always good, for most applications. You can't do fancy top stitching very well.

Really the best buy to talk with is Art, he's the sewing machine Guru around here. He knows everything.... :red_bandana:

I did find these... about 2 hours away or so....

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/hsh/621643782.html

but there is no info.... I dont know if they straight stitch, how thick it sews....

Hi Mike,

I have seen and worked on a few of them, mostly in canvas shops, I've seen them running no speed reducer and big motors and they hold up if you keep them oiled. This is the same machine Sailrite sells as their industrial machine. These machines use the same feet as the Singer 111 so there are plenty of feet and parts out there. A step up would be a Highlead GC-0618 SC-1 or the GC-20618 (very nearly identical) which corresponds with the Artisan 618 SC-1. These are all good machines that you can will to your kids. Note that these are all flat bed machines. I am not sure of the kind of work you do, but if it is anything other than flat work, a cylinder arm or a post bed machine might be in order. For a cylinder arm, I would recommend a Pfaff 335 is various and sundry flavors, The Highlead GC-22618 is the cylinder variant of the GC-0618, no safety clutch on this puppy though. The Pfaff can be had from (used) in your price range to very expensive, you have to shop, there are deals out there. A good new 618SC goes for $900 new and add a couple hundred for a speed reducer and servo motor from a reputable dealer. I can think of three dealers East of the Mississippi who have good prices on these machines and have used machines too. Artisan is good also for new machines. I have bought two machines from them with no complaints. Their service is excellent, excellent, excellent. Product, Service, Price, you can have any two.

Note, all medium duty for these puppies, about 18oz to 24oz veg tan max, as much chrome tan as you can get under the foot (slower speeds).

Art

Thank you Art.... I think a cylinder arm would suit me better for sewing gussets onto small bags and what not.

plus.... with a cylinder arm I can make a flat bed out of laminated wood.... remove it when i need the cylinder and put it back when i dont...

I found a Tippman on fleabay starting at 500 with 40 shipping from LA.... 2 days left on it.... cross your fingers for me that I win it... I do not mind it being manual... when i use my current light duty machine I only use the motor when sewing fabrics.... when I am doing any thickness leather I crank the wheel by hand so i can control it better and put the needle where i want it.

Hi Mike,

Some of the old home machines (the ones made of metal) were indeed built tough. Their only drawbacks were the wimpy home motors they had on them, which pretty much relegated them to fabric (and sometimes not much of that) and the needle bars which often won't take a larger needle. Some would take a 2mm needle shaft but many were 1.64mm. You can get a lot of needle deflection and breakage when going up or down hill. Still, if it's all you got, then you go with it. The newer home machines have tight clearance hooks and aren't happy with anything over a size 30 thread.

The Tippmann is a good machine, it does have a pretty good range, and if you can get it for that price, you can probably get your money back if you want to trade up. With money tightening up, hitting the Smucker's or Weaver auctions may prove a good move this year.

Art

Thank you Art.... I think a cylinder arm would suit me better for sewing gussets onto small bags and what not.

plus.... with a cylinder arm I can make a flat bed out of laminated wood.... remove it when i need the cylinder and put it back when i dont...

I found a Tippman on fleabay starting at 500 with 40 shipping from LA.... 2 days left on it.... cross your fingers for me that I win it... I do not mind it being manual... when i use my current light duty machine I only use the motor when sewing fabrics.... when I am doing any thickness leather I crank the wheel by hand so i can control it better and put the needle where i want it.

Smuckers or Weavers auctions? Please elaborate.

The Tippmann I was looking at is already up to 911.00 with another day and a half to go on the auction..... so it is pretty much out of my reach....

Hi Mike,

That auction has probably been bid up. Look for bidders with very low feedback. It is hard to recognize it but it is quite common on eBay. I could go on and on about eBay but it is a channel and it works for some, I only buy from sellers I know. For $900 I could get you a brand new medium duty machine (138 to 207 thread max) or the same duty machine used for $600, so don't go buying a Boss for $900.

Weaver Leather in Mt. Hope, Ohio and Smucker's Harness Shop in Narvon, Pennsylvania both have consignment auctions each year. They have a lot of machinery and surplus goods, you really have to know your stuff, but you can buy a lot for a little, especially when the economy is down. I'll be going to both this year if anyone wants to meet me there let me know. Contact Weaver or Mose Smucker for details, their numbers are in LCSJ and Shop Talk.

Art

Smuckers or Weavers auctions? Please elaborate.

The Tippmann I was looking at is already up to 911.00 with another day and a half to go on the auction..... so it is pretty much out of my reach....

Ok, New Hope Oh... there are two of them.... one north of Cincinnati, and the other is east south east of Cincinnati.... Which one is Weaver in?

I think I found a Consew 99 for 300. Table, motor, everything plus some assessories.... What cha think?

Hi Mike,

Probably not. The 99 is a great machine for lightweight sails, it will sew zigzag. It is a little wimpy for storm sails or the tack on big jibs. Other than garment leather and 6oz total, maybe 10oz pushing it. For small projects it will work, but if price is the thing here you can get a Tacsew T111-155 for around $750 new, it will sew rings around the Consew 99, but won't do zigzag ever.

Art

Ok, New Hope Oh... there are two of them.... one north of Cincinnati, and the other is east south east of Cincinnati.... Which one is Weaver in?

I think I found a Consew 99 for 300. Table, motor, everything plus some assessories.... What cha think?

Hi Mike,

Mt Hope is about 70 miles south of Cleveland, If I said New Hope, my bad, totally different place.

Art