rookie

Saddle making advice needed

I have a saddle that was given to me. It is a run of the mill Quarter Horse pleasure saddle. I was wondering if it is worth my time taking it apart and rebuilding it to my liken'. I have done some tooling and would like to attempt to make a saddle.

Is it worth my time doing it in this fashion?

I was going to use the leather from the old saddle as templates for the new leathers.

You are asking a very difficult question. you haven't mentioned how much experience you have as a leather worker. also is the saddle in sad condition or are you just wanting to experiment? one of the best ways to learn how to build saddles is doing repair work.

another question is who was the saddle made by. I ask this question because there are a lot of really bad saddles out there and if it is a poorley constructed saddle you really do not want to learn the bad, poor ways to construct a saddle.

I would recomend you check out some saddle making books and read and study different construction techniques and look up a local saddle maker and ask them if they would guide you if you get into trouble.

There are some really good saddle makers on this sight that could give you some good advice as well as help you to answer some of the questions you will encounter as you take on this task.

I hope this helps

Skip

Rookie,

I have to agree with Skip here. Rebuidling a saddle is time consuming and cost almost as much as building a new one. You could do it but really consider these points. ( I have been down this road as well so I know what I'm talking about.)

1. What kind of tree does it have and is the tree in good shape. (No mold, mildew, cracks, rotted wood or worn or torn rawhide, all common in old saddle in poor condition. Pay attention to the areas around the saddle string holes, nail holes and the screw concho holes, any rot or craks and the tree should be discarded and not used.)

2. Is the tree from a reputable manufacture. (Either quality rawhide covered wood or fiberglass covered wood.)

3. Does the tree fit you well and will you still like using that style saddle in the future. (Do you think your style or type of riding will change.)

4. How bad is the original leather coverings and skirt, is the rigging in poor shape. All will indicate the use or abuse the saddle recieved previously.

5. Laying out the patterns on the skirting leather will require some expert help as certain portions are better for cutting specific parts. (Get advise from a reputable saddle maker.)

There are many more things you should consider but these are the beginning.

Good Luck and have fun. If it's not going to be fun don't try it is my advise. Starting with something new your creating yourself is always fun!

Thank you Skip. There is a saddle maker here in town, I think I will take it by there and see what they say first. I have done some leather work, I have made chinks, a purse and a few odds and end things. The saddle is in decent shape, I thought trying my hand on this saddle first because of cost. I ended up with the saddle for free. My thinking was I have a tree and the templates for the leather. I don't ride this saddle so I will not be out anything. This saddle has been in the tack room for 10 years collecting dust.

Are there a lot of gremlins when trying to build a saddle from an existing saddle?

in answer to your question about gremlins, it is yes and Grumpy guy is very correct with the things he mentioned in detail.

if the saddle is in good shape I would leave it alone and find a saddle maker to apprentice with or that would let you pick his, or her brain for the help you will need.

if you will check previous posts on this site concerning saddle making you will find several books and video's/ cd's tha would give yoou some really good back ground on building your own saddle and that would put you on the right track. take care and good luck. keep us posted on your trek.

Skip

Rookie,

All good points to consider, but mainly you, as many before you, think you have templets to work with. To a degree you do. Thing is, all the major parts put on a saddle are fit to that saddle which involves skiving and stretching and 'drying' in place. Then they have been ridden in who knows what kind of conditions and stored and cared for the same. Oil dirt water and drying some more. A lot of horse sweet and who knows what else.

So,,, when you tare a used saddle apart you will be stretching everything(many things) the other direction from where it was fit to in the first place(kind of like trying to flatten out and orange peal and making a new cover for it). Not to mention what is under the top leather. There are places with build ups and fillers underneath, and as was talked about earlier, not everyone builds a saddle the same so you are likely to find some surprises when you open it up, and you may not want to repeat what they did.

We aren't saying you can't do it, but there is more to it than just copying the parts you took off and sticking the new ones one.

As was said before, Good luck and have fun.GH