Good morning! I am looking for help and information concerning vacuum assisted wet molding holsters and knife sheaths. I need to start at ground zero because I know absolutely nothing about the process. What bags are used, material and source? Preferred vacuum source (shop vac, floor vac etc. and preferred power of the vacuum source)? If any specialized equipment is available, I would like to hear about that and the source. Just in general, I'm looking to learn everything the "collective" has to share by way of information, and I thank you in advance for any help rendered.

Paul

So you've got about $300 put into your vacuum set up?

Are there any less expensive alternatives?

Maybe something that can be used with a Shop-Vac or similar....

Check out Joewoodworker.com He has plans to build your own vacuum out of a venturi for your air compressor. He even shows how to make your own bags. If you have a surplus of parts, you can build it rather inexpensive. He has a base kit for $150.

Is there any advantage to using a vacuum set up like that over a press? I've been looking into presses and for a little over 200.00 you can get a 12 ton press and 2 sheets of gum rubber, you could go even cheaper with a 6 ton benchtop press, but I figured I might as well go bigger. Those prices come from Harbor Freight for the press (129.00-20% off coupon) and the two pads from Mcmaster Carr for 58.00 a piece.

I used a vacuum bag with my shop vac but it didn't really did help enough to warrant the extra effort, they weren't very good ones so it's not a good representation of what could be done.

Anyway, be curious to see the pros and cons of each set up before I spend money on the press.

Is there any advantage to using a vacuum set up like that over a press? I've been looking into presses and for a little over 200.00 you can get a 12 ton press and 2 sheets of gum rubber, you could go even cheaper with a 6 ton benchtop press, but I figured I might as well go bigger. Those prices come from Harbor Freight for the press (129.00-20% off coupon) and the two pads from Mcmaster Carr for 58.00 a piece.

I used a vacuum bag with my shop vac but it didn't really did help enough to warrant the extra effort, they weren't very good ones so it's not a good representation of what could be done.

Anyway, be curious to see the pros and cons of each set up before I spend money on the press.

I have both and I use the vacuum setup almost exclusively. The biggest advantage I find is that if you get the better quality poly bag instead of the vynal you can bone the details right through the bag. One thing to be aware of is that it is useful to clamp the sides of the bag to the table to keep it from bunching up around the holster.