DJ1935

Antique Saddlery Tools

post-5220-085853600 1285650295_thumb.jpg Amongst an array of old Saddlery tools I bought from an Estate was this unsual Collar Palm. It was rusted and the pin worn so my Husband bead blasted it and replaced the pin. When it was polished the makers name was revealed - Dixon. It is a great tool for hand stitching. The ends of the pliers have a half circle cut out the end, the same as a normal Collar Palm does, and can be used the same way or you can pull the needle with the pliers jaws which are smooth.

I have never seen a tool like this, does anyone have any idea of its age?

Also with the tools was a serious rolling pin covered in felt. I assume this was used for rolling leather after or during glueing. Although someone suggested it would be a good thing to keep by the back door! On one end is stamped Noris Walzen. On the other end it has Botcher & Renner, Nurnberg. Any infomation on this would be helpful .post-5220-023880100 1285650341_thumb.jpg

I can't help with any information but their neat tools.

Mr Dixon is a memeber here. Pm him, I'm sure he'll be able to answer. Make sure you fill us in, too.

I don't know if this rolling pin was used for this purpose but an english saddler will have a rolling pin in his/her tool kit , we use it to even out the flocking when we stuff the panels on an english style saddle - they are not normally covered in felt these days but I would presume this is to help to not damage/mark the leather of the panels when it is used.

Only just a wild-as*ed guess, but if the rolling pin really *is* for leatherwork - could it be used for book binding.?? I'd imagine they would want to make sure the thin leather they use is is well glued, without risk of marking the leather?

The Saddler who owned this gear was the last "Master" Saddler in our area. He definately was repacking and relining saddles as part of his work. I emailed "Mr Dixon" and sent a photo of the pliers, to date havent had the decency of a reply.

DJ

post-5220-085853600 1285650295_thumb.jpg Amongst an array of old Saddlery tools I bought from an Estate was this unsual Collar Palm. It was rusted and the pin worn so my Husband bead blasted it and replaced the pin. When it was polished the makers name was revealed - Dixon. It is a great tool for hand stitching. The ends of the pliers have a half circle cut out the end, the same as a normal Collar Palm does, and can be used the same way or you can pull the needle with the pliers jaws which are smooth.

I have never seen a tool like this, does anyone have any idea of its age?

Also with the tools was a serious rolling pin covered in felt. I assume this was used for rolling leather after or during glueing. Although someone suggested it would be a good thing to keep by the back door! On one end is stamped Noris Walzen. On the other end it has Botcher & Renner, Nurnberg. Any infomation on this would be helpful .post-5220-023880100 1285650341_thumb.jpg

Hi

I've seen one Seat roller exactly like yours. It was used to roll out the Seat on Pigskin Show Saddles so that the Leather did not get a Glaze as happened with as normal Seat Slicker or Roller. Also when cementing the Skirts Flaps etc it did a very good job. The Saddler has passed on but I recall he had a German accent, so I feel this may be a Tool from Germany.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.