rickeyfro

Making Kangaroo Lace

My question is this, what is the difference between lace made from a chrome tanned roo hide and a veg tanned one, I know there has to be something that would justify the veg tanned hide to cost almost 3 times what the chrome tanned one does, Ive made a couple of seats using boght roo lace and after using it everything else is in a whole nother league, im loving that stuff, but no way I can buy pre cut lace without taking a major bite out of profits. so Im thinking of getting one of those super slick lace machines, and buying a few hides and seeing how much lace I can get out of one. Rick

The only place I really priced it was Ebay, from some guy in Australia, a chrome tanned hide abou 6.5 sq ft goes for around $30 and a veg tanned one the same size is around $80

Im pretty sure Springfield Leather sells it. and Charles Hardke, maybe Sheridan Leather, but I really never priced it, just recently got interested.

I buy direct from Australia. Even with shipping, I get a hide for around US$50 less than I can buy here in the USA. And that's not counting the shipping charges here. Even the pre-cut lace is cheaper. I can add one or two spools of lace to the roo shipment without increasing the shipping charges.

My question is this, what is the difference between lace made from a chrome tanned roo hide and a veg tanned one, I know there has to be something that would justify the veg tanned hide to cost almost 3 times what the chrome tanned one does, Ive made a couple of seats using boght roo lace and after using it everything else is in a whole nother league, im loving that stuff, but no way I can buy pre cut lace without taking a major bite out of profits. so Im thinking of getting one of those super slick lace machines, and buying a few hides and seeing how much lace I can get out of one. Rick

Rick, if roo tanning and cowhide tanning is the same process, the veg tanning process can take 2-3 months, whereas chrome tanning takes just days. So, that's the reason for the big differece in price.

In this topic: Is anybody know good method to finish kangaroo lace after precutting ? I have 6 meters of good quality lace ana .. now what ? I don't like sharp edges ? What can I do with them ? May be someone could prepare little tuttorial ?

In this topic: Is anybody know good method to finish kangaroo lace after precutting ? I have 6 meters of good quality lace ana .. now what ? I don't like sharp edges ? What can I do with them ? May be someone could prepare little tuttorial ?

Bevel the flesh side. The hair side edges will soften and blend in when you braid with it.

Hedge

Hi Rickey,

The time in tanning is the major reason for the cost difference. We used to bring in the skins with our lace, but it's gotten expensive and difficult. At the moment, it's illegal to import the hides from Australia, without a license from fish and wildlife dept in this country. anyone can get one for about 100 bucks. THen there are permits and fees that australia has to get for each and every shipment to this country. you might get lucky and avoid getting caught for a while, but sooner or later, someone in customs will check out the lace or the skins, and you'll have a problem. we've seen it happen countless times.

There are a number of various lace bevelers on the market, and most work fairly well. And you're right, there's nothing like veg tanned Roo lace. The chrome doesn't have the strength.

Kevin

Hi Rickey,

The time in tanning is the major reason for the cost difference. We used to bring in the skins with our lace, but it's gotten expensive and difficult. At the moment, it's illegal to import the hides from Australia, without a license from fish and wildlife dept in this country. anyone can get one for about 100 bucks. THen there are permits and fees that australia has to get for each and every shipment to this country. you might get lucky and avoid getting caught for a while, but sooner or later, someone in customs will check out the lace or the skins, and you'll have a problem. we've seen it happen countless times.

There are a number of various lace bevelers on the market, and most work fairly well. And you're right, there's nothing like veg tanned Roo lace. The chrome doesn't have the strength.

Kevin

What is the reason for making 'roo hide illegal to import it?

What is the reason for making 'roo hide illegal to import it?

Its not illegal, they just want there money.

I'm doubting that too. I'm waiting for a reply from Fish & Wildlife Service. I know Calif had a ban a few years ago but that was lifted. You may need a license here to sell it - as a retailer, but if you're a hobbyist, buying one or two - why would you need a license?

As far as I know, the Australian gov't is the only one that will stop a shipment if the $60 (not sure if that is AUD or USD) is not collected (per shipment). I know Packer tacks that on, so it's in your interest to order enough to offset that fee. I'm assuming that the shipper is the one that's gonna get hauled in if they don't collect the government fee. Or, that may even be tied into the price of the hide.

When I buy a .7 sq meter hide from Australia, it costs me roughly US$41 (today). Add about US$26 for shipping and you've got US$87. I think the average price per sq. meter here in the US is US$125. That's NOT including shipping and "handling" charges. Do the math.

Yes, there are very reputable roo hide dealers here in the US, but more than doubling the price is a bit over the top. If I absolutely have to have a hide within a week, I might go that route. But I try to always have enough in stock to carry me over the 2-3 week delivery time from Australia.

Rick

I don't do much with roo. But I bought a drum stuffed hide last year from Hardtke. I paid around 12.00 a sq. foot. The hide was 5 sq. feet so it cost me 60 bucks plus a little for shipping. It was a real nice hide and braided great. I'm not sure of the differences between the other tanning methods mentioned and one being drum stuffed. I would call them and ask what their price is now. Another place to try Panhandle leather sometimes they have some at a good price. But like I said I haven't ordered one in a while so the prices could be higher.

Hardtke #(915)590-0088

Panhandle leather #(806) 373-0535

Best of luck!!

Mike

Check out www.midwestwhips.com #1 veg tan is $11.50/ sq.ft. and $10.00 for #2's.

I just ordered a hide from there and will have a go at cutting my own lace. Paul there is very helpful.

Joe

I stand severely corrected about importing roo hides.

Kevin is 100% correct - if you plan to import a hide for commercial use or resale. If you import it, you must be able to prove it is for personal use and you're still liable for inspection fees.

Like Kevin says, I've been lucky so far.

Considering all of the fees and duties that FWS and Australia charge, it just may be better to buy from a dealer here in the USA, if you plan to make something and sell it.

I apologize for the confusion.

Kevin is 100% correct - if you plan to import a hide for commercial use or resale. If you import it, you must be able to prove it is for personal use and you're still liable for inspection fees.

Considering all of the fees and duties that FWS and Australia charge, it just may be better to buy from a dealer here in the USA, if you plan to make something and sell it.

hi Spence,

hi Spence,

I really got a shock a couple years ago, because we'd been doing the same thing... just going about business and happier than a gopher in soft dirt! Then, Wham! Shipments to us were returned to australia, and just all kinds of hassle. And according to our supplier, they had the same thing happen on their end. So I guess it was a concentrated effort from both ends. Anyway, at least it's still available, even if it is expensive. I'm working on trying to get it here cheaper, and may have found a way. It seems the key is in who you buy it from in Australia. I've checked several sources for the lace, hoping that I might be able to get it cheaper because of the volume that we do, but a couple of them wanted to sell roo lace to me for more than I'm selling it for in the states!!!!!! I'll know more in a month or so.

Kevin

Edited by kevinhopkins

I'll be anxiously waiting.