Sign in to follow this  
George B

Problems With The Avenger From Hell

I searched the forum and cannot find any information on making an Avenger holster for a revolver and getting it to work. I figured the automatics out and have been cranking them out pretty regular, but the revolver has got me about ready to NEVER do one again. If this wasn't for a good customer I would have given up already and just taken whatever time I needed to perfect my holster. Unfortunately he only comes to my area every couple of months and is expecting to pick up this holster this Saturday morning.

I have done 2 of them and the first was horrible, the second has good retention but I cannot get the forward cant figured out and the belt tunnel pulled towards the trigger and sticks out, making it impossible to wear concealed. I think I can figure out how much forward to move the tunnel but I cannot get a 15 degree forward cant without giving up retention.

I need help on this holster for this 6 shot Taurus 44 mag revolver.

Thanks

post-18937-041642200 1344358591_thumb.jp post-18937-059927900 1344358612_thumb.jp

George, for a 15 degree cant, your belt tunnel looks a little on the low side...try moving it up 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...either that or move your rear belt slot (the whole wing actually) down some....either way, i have a hard time concealing an avenger without a heavy coat...so it may not be anything you are doing, it may just be the inherent nature of the design...

Like he said... you need to move your wing belt slot down. In order to get the cant you need, it looks like you will have to add some extra leather to the design... make the wing sit lower. or just lengthen it.

Holster looks great, right or wrong, somebody is gonna want that!

Thanks Shooter, I hope some one will.

I guess my big question is...if I drop the slot behind the trigger down how will it effect the retention and stability of the revolver. I mean, if I have less trigger guard to work with won't it make the retention less?

Thanks

dont take away leather from the trigger guard, just add leather to the wing...take your existing pattern, lay it out on the leather, and on the wing portion, grab a compass set to about 1 inch ...its easier to show than to explain..look at the black line for the pattern refinement or the red line as an alternative..

also, remember when your making revolver holsters, you usually need to move your belt slots further away from the gun than with auto's...i cant remember who passed that trick on to me, but it helped me tremendously..good luck and i hope you get it all worked out...make sure you show us when its done

post-30702-087994000 1344425323_thumb.jp

Thank you so very much Renegadelizard. That is exactly what I needed to see, I just could not wrap my head around it before. Extending the ear out with the slot makes a lot of sense, so simple it makes me feel kinda stupid.

Once again, thank you, George

We've all been there before George....Homer Simpson moments...hope it all works for you...

We've all been there before George....Homer Simpson moments...hope it all works for you...

One more thing before I forget George, if you are going to dyr the holster, i would do before you stitch and mold it...the dark areas on the one you posted will not take dye very well as it is pretty burnished...

Hell, George..just send me the gun and the holster and move on.... problem solved... :)

Jake

Only if you send one of each back, LOL

Hell, George..just send me the gun and the holster and move on.... problem solved... :)

Jake

Hey All, finally got it. Just finished applying some Sdikmores cream so it's kinda dark around the edges.

Many thanks to Renegadelizaed for taking the time to draw out what I was missing.

Customer wanted it lined so I used two layers of 5 ounce W&C russet with a 7 ounce throat, man was it a bear to form and detail.

Once again, thanks to everyone who offered advice.

George

post-18937-066282700 1344634059_thumb.jppost-18937-028188200 1344634089_thumb.jp

That thing is gorgeous George! With 10oz of leather, two flesh sides, and that throat re-encorcement to top it off, that thing should be around just this side of forever! Your hands must be really sore after forming that. I'm also using W&C russet, it's really nice stuff.

Paul

Hey All, finally got it. Just finished applying some Sdikmores cream so it's kinda dark around the edges.

Many thanks to Renegadelizaed for taking the time to draw out what I was missing.

Customer wanted it lined so I used two layers of 5 ounce W&C russet with a 7 ounce throat, man was it a bear to form and detail.

Once again, thanks to everyone who offered advice.

George

post-18937-066282700 1344634059_thumb.jppost-18937-028188200 1344634089_thumb.jp

Great looking holster George...top notch!!..

Thank you for both the help and the compliment. The customer liked it also and is coming out for a fitting on a shoulder rig for his Dessert Eagle. He has had to return his El Paso rig about 3 times, front sight keeps tearing the suede lining.

Great looking holster George...top notch!!..

Thank you for both the help and the compliment. The customer liked it also and is coming out for a fitting on a shoulder rig for his Dessert Eagle. He has had to return his El Paso rig about 3 times, front sight keeps tearing the suede lining.

sew a sight channel into it...if you are concerned it with tearing, i would recommend sewing in so .060 kydex ...you will have to hand sew and debur each hole, but it wont tear...ever...

Nice work George! It looks great and the customer should be very pleased!!