Sign in to follow this  
swivelsphinx

Fire Fan Case

This is a carrying case I made for a pair of 27 inch fire fans. For those of you not familiar with fire spinning, a "fan" is a fan-shaped metal frame tipped with flammable wicks. This set of fans is about 18 inches high and 27 inches wide. This case was made with spare leather, which posed some interesting design challenges. The top and bottom were 8-10 oz leather. The sides were about 4oz. After sewing the "box" section (that's everything beneath the lid), it was clear that I needed a stiffener that would not be damaged by tiki torch fuel residue which might remain on the wicks of the fan. So, I dug out an old mylar infused plastic poster frame and some nylon bag stiffener. I layered them- stiffener in, mylar plastic out. I glued them in place with barge cement, then fused the sides together using plastic weld epoxy. The lid is attatched by three cabinet hinges. It is secured with brass buckles and a few snap closures. It's got two handles- one for shoulder carry, and one for grabbing one-handed and suspending the case from a hook. The body and handles were colored with spirit dyes. The kanji for fire and the five fire associated runes were requested by my friend. I worked the runes into a "fire wheel" design. The designs were etched into the leather with a pyrography set, then pigmented with Cova colors. This piece was done over the span of a year and change.

galcomplete.JPG

galfirewheel.jpg

galkanji1.jpg

galcomplete.JPG

galfirewheel.jpg

galkanji1.jpg

post-6993-1243947138_thumb.jpg

post-6993-1243947846_thumb.jpg

post-6993-1243947940_thumb.jpg

I've not seen a fire fan case on here before. A very interesting design job! Those fans really look magnificent when used by someone who knows what they are doing.

Not really a leathery question but do you use kevlar wicks and if so do you make them yourself? I ask because I have a set of poi to make up and wondered if weighted and stuffed kevlar bags would work?

Ray