KnotHead

A Deer Antler Micro Fid.

This is about 51/4 inches long. Deer antler bone handle.

post-1307-0-62794200-1440377772_thumb.jppost-1307-0-28452200-1440377773_thumb.jppost-1307-0-98463900-1440377772_thumb.jp

Very nice, what is the metal fid part made from? Did you turn the antler on a lathe?

It's made from an old firing pin.

5 & 1/4" long or 51.4"?

Very cool though...would these be available for sale at some point? I don't buy decorative tools, but I use so much fid & that's pretty damn amazing!

No. I'm not making them to sell. Just a useful recycle project is all.

Brian...

Acceptable...what did you use to polish that antler? I have access to a wood lathe and deer antler pretty regularly...any chance you'd shed some light on the process for such a beautiful piece's process of creation?

Well. I used a dremel with some of the really rough sand paper cylinder to strip away the old top layer bone and to some what even out or straighten the rest of the bone. Once straightened like I wanted it to be I started to smooth it out with lighter and lighter sand paper by hand. But not all the way yet.

I then got me a drill bit to the almost matching size of the pin that makes the fid shank. I then used a few drill bits that were smaller to the bigger size to drill a hole down into the bone itself so that the shank would fit nicely. This process takes a bit longer since I don't own a drill press.

Once done with that part. I then started the sanding again. This time with some more really fine 600 grit sand paper by hand. I don't own a lathe so just about everything was done by hand. That's all there is to it.

Shining the bone was done with some red polish compound and my dremel polishing wheel and a few hours of work.

Brian...

I thought I replied to this one the other day - but thanks a ton for all the info and the wonderful inspiration! I saved this as a project - it's in my top 10 even above some of the relative's stuff who I don't expect to pay me much or see till xmas :)

You're welcome.

Thank you....

Nice job, Brian. Where did you find that spare time?

I found the time as it became available. LOL...

Thanks for the very kind comment,

Brian