Sign in to follow this  
Talfuchre

Protecting a folding knife against a snap...

DadsLeatherBuckCase006.jpg

When making the case above - the line 20 or 24 snap I use can cause marring on the knife inside. What ideas can I do (besides setting the snap on another piece of leather ans sewing it into the front) can you give me to protect the knife below.

SAKFarmerSheathPrototype003.jpg

Thanks,

TF

Edited by Talfuchre

Use two thinner layers on the front piece. Set the snap glue them together then treat them like the original.

You could also try one of many other types of retention. There are all kinds of different styles of doing it that just use leather.

Split the leather past where the snap goes, insert the snap and glue the flap back down.

The best is to sandwich it between two pieces of leather. But another couple options could be, coating the snap with a rubberized coating which will eventually wear off. Or, skive the part where the snap sits, so it will be below the surface of the rest of the panel.

Well - I went with the sandwiched anyway - but I am going to work on the split that SharpShooter suggested!

I have not been doing this for very long (I think this is my 6th) - but I am proud of this one. I learn more every time.

SAK Farmer case with line 24 snap sandwiched between two pieces of leather to protect the knife. Double stitched at stress points.

SakPouchwithFlap002.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap003.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap004.jpg

The snap leather tab is coming through crooked in the photo's - but it is straight. :o

TF

Well - I went with the sandwiched anyway - but I am going to work on the split that SharpShooter suggested!

I have not been doing this for very long (I think this is my 6th) - but I am proud of this one. I learn more every time.

SAK Farmer case with line 24 snap sandwiched between two pieces of leather to protect the knife. Double stitched at stress points.

SakPouchwithFlap002.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap003.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap004.jpg

The snap leather tab is coming through crooked in the photo's - but it is straight. :o

TF

I have used a piece of 2oz. calfskin with skived edges glued across the top inside @ 1" wide on several sheaths with good results. I blend it with the front piece when slicking the top edge. On a bunch of cell phone holsters I contact cemented a 1" circle of lining leather inside the snap with good results. Several of the other suggestions are very workable and clever as well. This recent design you did is well done and adds a detailed look to your piece. Nice work!