Clay

Flying With Your Leather Tools?

Hi all,

I am going to be flying in a few weeks back to Rapid City to visit and I am going to be teaching a leather craft class while I am there. I purchased a lockable tool case with a foam pat that keeps the tools inside from shifting around. My question is has any one else ever flown with their tools? and what if any issues came up with the airlines? I am not going to be taking any of my favorite tools, or anything that has a sharp edge.

Thanks,

Clay Miller

No sharp edges, you should be fine carrying on all your stuff. They might want a look in your bag, seeing how most tools would be pretty funny looking under the x ray machine. Just don't look suspicious. innocent.gif

Clay, your best bet is to visit the web site of the airline you plan to fly to understand any restrictions (not only tools, but liquids, etc). Most of these sites spell these security restrictions out in great detail. Regardless, I think you'll be fine with your tools -- even the sharp ones -- if you check your toolbox. Obviously, anything that's carry-on is subject to much greater scrutiny.

Good luck and enjoy the trip! -Alex

Contact W/C at Standing Bear in California. He has flown and gave me some tips during my summer trip there. Remember, you have a stamping stick, not a maul, mallet or hammer! I purchased some tools while at Standing Bear's shop and carried them on. They did set the alarm off, but after a separate check through the bomb machine....I was allowed to pass. I also showed them a business card and I do not know if this worked or not?

If all fails, ship it to the store via one of the carries......Priority Flat Rate box with insurance sounds pretty good with tracking, of course! If all fails and they never get there.....well make yourself another set Mr. Tool Maker!

Good luck and enjoy!

I work in the airport environment very frequently.

The issue isn't going to be airline policies, so much as it will be TSA regulations.

You're definitely going to have to send most of your tools in checked baggage, so you might as well send them all that way.

They probably wouldn't have a problem with groovers, and definitely not with burnishers, but if awls and mauls will need to go in checked baggage anyway.......

The good news is that I can't think of ANY leatherworking tools that wouldn't be allowed in CHECKED baggage.

The good news is that I can't think of ANY leatherworking tools that wouldn't be allowed in CHECKED baggage.

:16: Even swords and guns are allowed in checked baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/t...ited-items.shtm

I'd pack this stuff well (like in between layers of clothes in a suitcase), since checked baggage is often roughly handled... But I'd go checked baggage all the way, and forget about trying to explain your carry-on contents to airport security. :)

Clay,

The TSA is the issue not the airlines as already mentioned and it is good advice to familiarize yourself with their policies prior to flying.

A few times when traveling while working (flying every week), I carried tools back and forth. I reviewed my tools here one afternoon with DFW TSA people and here was what they offered up as advice. They will absolutely not allow the knives through carry-on for obvious reasons. Awls, edgers, groovers, mauls, mallets, hammers would generally not be allowed either (to be safe - However they know that some security people might allow them). Don't laugh but single dot seeders were scrutinized as well. Their explanation was interesting to say the least because pens could fall into that category as well.

They also offered this advice. If it is a straight through flight then it would most likely be fine but any hops in between have the potential for the bags to get lost. The risk goes up for each hop so if it absolutely has to be there for your demo or such, their advice is to send it to the hotel, center or store that you are headed to.

Others have mentioned the TSA website as well as various forms of this including guns and so forth but I believe the stop-over/flight hops information is also good advice.,

Regards,

Ben

Hi all,

I am going to be flying in a few weeks back to Rapid City to visit and I am going to be teaching a leather craft class while I am there. I purchased a lockable tool case with a foam pat that keeps the tools inside from shifting around. My question is has any one else ever flown with their tools? and what if any issues came up with the airlines? I am not going to be taking any of my favorite tools, or anything that has a sharp edge.

Thanks,

Clay Miller

Clay,

Talk to Chan Geer. He flies with his on a regular basis. Of course no knives, or sharp pointy things, etc, only your stamping tools. They fall under the maximum lengfth of tools ets, but Chan can give the low down.

Being able to carry them on will somethines make or break the 50 pound limit on your luggage too.

Sam Texas

AKA - Dave Smith

I am a knifemaker so naturally anything I carry comes under scrutiny, but with the number of variables to lose your tools, I would ship them ahead.I do this for all knife shows I fly to.The majority of motels handle this service and while it costs a bit more it beats replacing everything.I got pulled out and searched in Atlanta due to blocks of exotic wood I was carrying that didn't scan well, and the TSA agent's eyes got real big when he looked into the bag and saw all tthose exotic hides,lol.Still they let me fly.Dave