adaman04

Stich spacing for holster?

I went to Tandy this past weekend and got a 7 SPI overstitch wheel because that's what most of my factory holsters appeared to be. (Duh, idiot, they're all machine sewn.) I came home to practice some stitching and quickly decided 7 SPI might have been too tight for a rookie. In hindsight I think I should have bought the one with 5, 6 and 7 SPI wheels. I think it would look really nice at 7 SPI but obviously taking time awling the holes is key for appearance. What are you handstitchers using? Should I switch to a larger stitch?

i use the 6 overstitch wheel for all my hand sewing jobs.

works just fine for me.

also gouge the stitch line 3/16" in from the edge when i handstitch my projects.

but when you wetmould a project and use the nails to hold project while moulding i line my stitching line up with the nail holes so i wont have any extra holes

6 spi here. How does one use nails to wet mold?

The most common mentioned in the books I have read is 6 per inch. Seems to be a good look on most of the items I have hand stitched. I do get tired of punching all those holes on larger projects though.

6spi as well for hand stitching...

Five or six is fine. If I were hand-stitching, I'd go with six.

6 spi here. How does one use nails to wet mold?

i use the nails to secure the leather down to a board while wet moulding.

this is for when you are moulding leather around a folding knife or clip for a gun.

soak leather in luke warm water for about 20 mins. pull out of water let sit for about 10 mins.

place leather over the gun clip/mag and then start pushing the leather down to the board around the clip/mag, securing it to board with nails.

i use shoe nails.

rdb posted a pic of some leather wet formed / molded leather with nails here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15226

Yeah that's about what I figured. The 5 looked huge at the time. I figured if I got one I would just stick with it for most all projects. Well, true, but I should have gotten a larger stitch. Not the first time I've had buyers remourse.

ETA, I just got a 6 SPI off ebay for 10 bucks. Might as well get the one I'll be happier with. I'll keep the 7 around for when my stitching skills improve or I need something extra stout. My leather should arrive tomorrow and I've got projects on the brain!

Edited by adaman04

As already noted, 5 or 6 stitches per inch works well with most projects.

I will add one consideration, and that is the danger of stitches pulling through the leather, especially during wet forming. A lot of stretching goes on during the forming process, and this can cause the thread to cut through the leather between stitch holes. The closer the stitch holes are, the more danger there is of this occuring.

I have switched over to machine sewing (and my machine is set at 6 per inch), but if I were hand-sewing now I think I would stick with 5 or 6 stitches per inch.

Seven is all I've even used on gun leather - but I'm old fashioned.

I only have a 6 overstitch wheel, guess that answers that. When I see some of the English tack, I can only think, someone needs a life or a machine or both.

Art

I went to Tandy this past weekend and got a 7 SPI overstitch wheel because that's what most of my factory holsters appeared to be. (Duh, idiot, they're all machine sewn.) I came home to practice some stitching and quickly decided 7 SPI might have been too tight for a rookie. In hindsight I think I should have bought the one with 5, 6 and 7 SPI wheels. I think it would look really nice at 7 SPI but obviously taking time awling the holes is key for appearance. What are you handstitchers using? Should I switch to a larger stitch?

6 spi for my hand sewn items....

I've got a 5 and a 6 for my handstitched holsters. Lately I'm using the 5, but I might go back to the 6.

G-o back to Tandy and get these three Diamond Hole Punches they are designed for sewing or stiching leather. The saingle pounch is 8065-00, the 4 prong 3/32" spacing is 8066-00 and the one you will use the most is the 4 prong 1/8" spacing is 8067-00. I tried using the round or scratch awl, the diamond awl, 1/16" drills, and the 4 prong stiching punch is the fastest and best way for most flat things I have found. I wish I could mount it in a press and lower it somehow for better results than hitting it with a hammer but with the limited space I have that will not be happening. Otherwise I use a 5 spi wheel. The three in one isn't as good as the individual wheels.

I don't really use a stitch marker, I just eyeball it stitch by stitch as I go. I actually had no idea how many stitches per inch I was doing until just now- I measured one of my recent holsters. Turns out I'm right at 6 spi.

It seems 6 is the magic number for most. But, nothing wrong with going tighter or wider.

Nooj

It's a 2 year old thead.....I don't think the OP is still looking for answers.

You may want to try the wet molding without the nails, it'll keep the extra holes out of the picture, I wet mold all my holsters and have never nailed them down. Rick

i use the nails to secure the leather down to a board while wet moulding.

this is for when you are moulding leather around a folding knife or clip for a gun.

soak leather in luke warm water for about 20 mins. pull out of water let sit for about 10 mins.

place leather over the gun clip/mag and then start pushing the leather down to the board around the clip/mag, securing it to board with nails.

i use shoe nails.

rdb posted a pic of some leather wet formed / molded leather with nails here http://leatherworker...showtopic=15226

It's a 2 year old thead.....I don't think the OP is still looking for answers.

:oops: Didn't see that! Sorry to resurrect the thread.

:head_hurts_kr:Lol. When it got bumped to the front of the line I just assumed it was new.

If he's still waiting on replies about this, he's been on hold for quite a while!

Nooj