Tina

It's OK to laugh :-)

So, I got this leather splitter, Osborne #84 design.

Now I need someone to make a tutorial on how to use it :head_hurts_kr: I know what it does just dont know how. I have never seen it in use before (or close up for that matter) and even if it is only a few moving parts I want to be sure I do the plit the right way:-)

Gretful for any input here//Tina

Tina,

Can you send us a picture of the one that you got? It will be easier to give instructions.

ArtS

Tina,

Can you send us a picture of the one that you got? It will be easier to give instructions.

ArtS

Off course I should have a picture of it (duh Tina)

For the moment a generic photo from the web has to do, I can take photos later on tonight when I come back home again.

Thanks 4 any help//Tina

splitter.jpg

post-5624-1220200268_thumb.jpg

It's different than mine. There should be some way to adjust the height of the blade or the roller to the blade. Adjust it to the thickness that you want. I'll usually do a sample test just to be sure with a scrap piece of leather. I wet my leather before thinning it. Place the leather in and push the handle forward and pull the leather through. Then turn it around and do the other end.

ArtS

Tandy just sent me something that included a picture tutorial on using one of those things. I'll hunt for it and send it to you.

Kate

Off course I should have a picture of it (duh Tina)

For the moment a generic photo from the web has to do, I can take photos later on tonight when I come back home again.

Thanks 4 any help//Tina

Mine's an Osborne 86 - has a thumb press on the right to open the roller to insert material, and a screw adjustment on the bottom to raise/lower the roller, and screws at the rear to adjust the roller so the material is coming into the edge of the blade at the proper place - I've found that I need to keep the roller about centered with the edge of the blade on whatever thickness I'm doing, do all string for a project before I change the settings, and do this consistently each time the roller gets adjusted to take another thin split - as it gets closer to the depth you are after, you must be careful that the roller isn't too far forward of the edge of the blade, as it will 'bite' into the string, and cut it off - does this more often with good rawhide string than anything - too far back from center (more 'underneath' the blade), just won't allow it to split much if anything) - just have to double check everything when you are getting close to the end of splitting them down to what you want. Then some practice strands are always good, sort of 'sacrificial lambs', so to speak, to make sure you have it splitting correctly...

I think this style of Osborne Splitter adjusts the depth by twisting the handle - opening this up to insert material should be a matter of pushing the handle away from you. (I think! Had one like this in the last shop I worked in, but I didn't use it, as I had my own at my bench)...as for adjusting the roller in/out from the blade edge, I'm not sure...would have to see more closeup pix from the other side, etc, to say for sure...

Edited by Shelly

Tina

To adjust the depth ya twist the handle just as Shelly said. There should be a set screw on the handle side. Once ya decide on the depth just set the screw. To adjust the blade just loosen the to bolts on top they should have a hole in each one ya can stick a awl in and loosen or tighten. I've been real happy with mine. Hope this helps.

Mike

Huge Thank you all...With your help I can hopefully make this work:-)

I will post some updates as soon as I get my hands on some bolts to pin the splitter down on my bench.

Have a great evening all//Tina

Hi Tina,

Just checking you still have all your fingers... <grin!>

R.