This sheath is the reason I got into leather working about six or seven months ago. I had several knives in need of a good sheath so I figured I'd give it a shot. Before I could get around to making one I got side tracked by learning a little leather carving. I finally got around to making the first of the knife sheaths this weekend. This is a first try in every way: I don't care for the carving pattern (but it almost fit the area), I had a misunderstanding with the leather dye, the stitching could be tighter and there are a couple of issues with the border stamping.

post-50972-0-56531400-1405954948_thumb.j

post-50972-0-83883100-1405954945_thumb.j

post-50972-0-83883100-1405954945_thumb.j

One major lesson learned is that while you can pull some color off with a wet sponge, if you over do it, the leather is left brittle when it dries. There are a couple of cracks that resulted when I folded it. And this was even WITH an application of Neatsfoot oil.

Other than that, I should have made the sheath just a smidge larger in diameter. I am, however, at least encouraged enough with the result to get on with starting take two.

-Matt

post-50972-0-23279700-1405954947_thumb.j

Nice looking and well built sheaths. I also got into leatherworking because there are a lot of good knives with crappy sheaths out there. Of course once you make a knife sheath you need a belt to carry it on and a pouch would be nice. And then your wife/girlfriend wants a purse. And all the sudden your a leatherworker.

Moisten (water) the leather before you do tight folds. That should avoid the cracking.

Looks pretty good to me.

Tom

I didn't think about that, Tom. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like it was dry. I think I only moistened the inside of the folding groove.

Thanks for the input, guys. :)

-Matt

I like the look. It's not "pretty" but looks great, has lots of character.

Cool, Matt, I really like that sheath style.