Storm

Old Style Scroll Work

Old drawing sent by arbalet12. This was just one of many he wanted to see how it looked in leather. Sorry for the sunburned leather but it started out as a test piece and I hate wasting leather even though it could have used a high end sun screen.! LOL!

Edited by Storm

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Old drawing sent by arbalet12. This was just one of many he wanted to see how it looked in leather. Sorry for the sunburned leather but it started out as a test piece and I hate wasting leather even though it could have used a high end sun screen.! LOL!

That does look good. Like it with the sun burnt leather. Probably one of the best leather colors out there.

That does look good. Like it with the sun burnt leather. Probably one of the best leather colors out there.

Me too!  I have been known to do a piece and then let it sit in the sun and then oil it and the use Satin Shene to finish it off. To me it is a natural color for leather.

Very nice guys! It looks great.

At first I wasn't sure , but after a second or two I began to appreciate the fact that you didn't use mule's feet, deco cuts, etc.

I REALLY like the simplicity of it and you did a fine job. I like the natural color too. Don't stain it or change it. If anything- set it out in the sun awhile- not to even the color but hopefully to add more pronounced color variation!

pete

I freakin love it !! Very nice design and you did a very nice job with it.

very nice design, love the color. I've screwed up more completed works than i can count

tryin to achieve that color. Wish I had time to let them set in the sun. Is there a faster way?

Ooh pretty!!! Something to be said about the color of sunburned leather, though...

Looks great, I like the flowing lines and very clean.thumbsup.gif

very nice design, love the color. I've screwed up more completed works than i can count

tryin to achieve that color. Wish I had time to let them set in the sun. Is there a faster way?

Hey Everybody!

Thanx for the kind words. I love this color too. My grandfather used to have a lot of saddles on his ranch. Most were simple, well built working saddles. No dyes or silver or carving. Just a well made saddle that had been oiled upon completion but they would get this wonderful color after they were out in the sun. I suppose that one could use a sun lamp or hech just go to the tanning salon and rent some time on a tanning bed for your leather. That might verywell work but a bit pricey. Nothing like natural sunlight. Organic suntanned leather. LOL! :rolleyes:

Edited by Storm

I gotta go with Kate on this one,

Yeah the color is nice.

But that is some great carving.

Well done Storm

Dave

that looks great

nice carving and love the color

David

Yeah, don't worry about the sun burn. Just oil it up and set it out in the sun, maybe cover up the dark part and it'll even out some. Besides, it looks good as is. Gives it that "old" look.

Yeah, don't worry about the sun burn. Just oil it up and set it out in the sun, maybe cover up the dark part and it'll even out some. Besides, it looks good as is. Gives it that "old" look.

Thanx...The term Sunburn is the term we use for exposing leather to the sun. Originally it was accidental. Some shops leaving the hides flesh side down when they stacked them or rolled them and having the sun light fall on them. I thought that every one might have gotten that I was kidding around about the tanning bed. This was a practice piece for the pattern and as such I would not normally use a half and half(No that's not a cream joke) piece of leather to test out a carving pattern.