Tallbald

Where To Buy Safety (One Directional) Snaps For Holster Belt Loops?

At least one commercial holster maker I know of uses what I think are called "safety snaps" that have an indentation in the cap denoting the only direction in which the snap can be undone. This is a safety feature I like. I don't know if there's another name for these kind of snaps, but am having no luck searching for them here for reference or in some leather suppliers catalog websites to buy. Could someone please tell me the correct name for these and where they can be bought? Or maybe they are exclusively made for the commercial big guys (?).Thanks. Don

Edited by Tallbald

Those are called "pull-the-dot" snaps. Not to be confused with "DOT" snaps (manufacturer name).

Edited by 25b

What you are looking for are pull the Dot snaps made by the DOT fastner company. http://www.dotfasteners.com/pull_the_dot.html%C2'> The problem is that you have to buy each of the four pieces seperately in lots of 100 each when you buy them direct. You can get complete sets on ebay for around $18.00 for I think 10 sets . They are a fair bit more expensive then standard line 24 snaps.

Edited by camano ridge

Ouch! Thank you. Don

At least one commercial holster maker I know of uses what I think are called "safety snaps" that have an indentation in the cap denoting the only direction in which the snap can be undone. This is a safety feature I like. I don't know if there's another name for these kind of snaps, but am having no luck searching for them here for reference or in some leather suppliers catalog websites to buy. Could someone please tell me the correct name for these and where they can be bought? Or maybe they are exclusively made for the commercial big guys (?).Thanks. Don

Hey, TB, . . . how many do you need?

May God bless,

Dwight

Springfield leather sells single sets too. Keep in mind the caps come in different post lengths and covers. A lot of times I just swap out the cap from a Line 24, they look more generic than the ones I got from Dot. And I got the short ones.

I have a couple of hundred sets of regular line 24 snaps from dot. I watched a video on setting the "pull the dot" fastner and it looks like the only unique part is the socket. Do I have that right? Can I just order a bunch of sockets and use the three other parts from my regular kit. Only thing I could see losing is the "pull the dot" print on the socket head. Thanks for any info!

Alex

The stud portion is quite different as well to work with the socket.

The studs are sometimes different too. I have 3 different Tandy sets where only one set's stud works with the POT sockets.

So I order the sockets and studs from the POT line but order caps from the Durable line in several lengths. Since I screw the studs on I buy just the posts of Chicago screw sets and then various length 8/32 flat machine screws.

So, this question was close enough I didnt want to start a new thread....

Where do folks find the snaps with the metal reinforcement for using on thumb break holsters? Its a snap with a small piece of metal to reinforce the break.

Great, thanks for the quick response!

High Desert Leather also has them http://highdesertleather.com/?product_cat=diy Both Rob Bennett of the Blue Gun Store and LVN Leatherworker of High Desert Leather are members on these forums.

Edited by camano ridge

Ive been using kydex for the stiffeners.

Along these lines what is every one using to put the little dimple in the cap. I checked around for a die for my arbor press and they want between 150.00 and 180.00 for the die.

Along these lines what is every one using to put the little dimple in the cap. I checked around for a die for my arbor press and they want between 150.00 and 180.00 for the die.

Uhh...I sent you a PM about this already.

It sounds like you may have never seen the parts of these snaps before they're assembled. The "dimple" is already on the snap when you buy them. Also, the dimple isn't the part that makes it a directional fastener...they're made differently inside -- the "dimple" is just there so you know which direction to pull to unfasten it.

The press-n-snap dies aren't terribly overpriced.

Edited by 25b

Uhh...I sent you a PM about this already.

Well feel free to send me a pm about your dimple technology. I dont currently dimple but I could if I had a good method that wasnt going to ruin my rather expensive DOT caps. Thanks :)

Alex

Hi 25B, We may not be on the same page. I have a lot of pull the dot caps. Not sure that's the correct name because I have heard numerous names for the part that has the pull the dot printing on them. I looked at mine thinking I lost my mind and didn't see the mark your talking about. None of mine have a mark on them.

I was at a fellow saddle maker who uses these and he has a die that the cap fits in and when you press the corresponding part to the cap it puts a small dimple on the top of the cap. I looked at his die and on the inside is a small pimple that marks the cap. I just purchased a sizable order with Index and they have the die and Ohio Travel bag has it also.

If the above information has flaws in it please educate me. Thank you, and also I appreciate your feedback. Don't ask questions you never learn.

Longtooth you are correct currently DOT snaps are made without the dimple but have dot printed as part of the logo. You can set the snap so that the word DOT is located on the side you lift. You can use a spring punch to make a DOT it works ok. The Die is the best way to make the dimple if you must have it.

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you Camano.I'm going to try the spring punch first.A tad more economical.

If that don't work then it's bite the bullet time.

Edited by longtooth

I kind of think this is one of those solutions looking for a problem. If I put a directional snap on a retention strap its pretty obvious which way the strap should break. If you tell the person you made the goods for that you put on safety snaps or directional snaps then it should be obvious. I didnt get the caps with the "pull the dot" on them because the text annoys me visually. I could live with a dimple but I dont feel overly in need of an indicator on which way to pull a snap. If there is a cheap way to add a dimple fine but if you cant figure out which way to pull a snap on a thumb break then you probably shouldn't own a gun.

I made my own by tweaking line 24 snaps with pliers. First one on an existing snap which kept coming loose. Others tweaked as needed.

BW Clare