Sherkhan1962

Various Belt Pouches, Simple One And Native Inspired Ones

Today I post various belt pouches, already planning to post later on the patterns for whoever would be interested to make some.

A belt pouch was a much need for me when I was younger as I had the tendency to forget my wallet everywhere: At home, in bars, at friend's, in restaurants, at work in the locker rooms... Once secured in a belt pouch I cannot lose my wallet anymore... Unless I also forget my pants!, what luckily never happened so far (I never had to leave in such a rush a woman's home because the husband came back earlier than supposed. How serious I am. :rolleyes2: )

The blue one was made in 1996 and I have worn it every single day since then, even at work in tough conditions (boat building and construction), having little confidence into locker rooms, too many workmates having been stolen. It is by now very dirty and most of the decorations have gone but it remains in good condition promising many more years of service.

The yellow was sold. In fact it was swapped for the replacement of the cylinder head gasket of my old Ford with one of my neighbors, a car mechanic whom the wife is also a fond of Native cultures - I always insist to add an s at the end of Culture when talking about Native people. More photos of it and a detailed description can be seen on my website.

I made the one with its belt to offer them to a Lakota (Sioux) from North Dakota I was in touch with.

The last one is very simple, no decoration but the stitched arabesques on the flap. It is lined with a coated cloth. Fully hand sewn, therefore time consuming although simple.

Drop me a line if you are interested by the patterns. Thanks.

post-37938-0-78035400-1359195968_thumb.j

post-37938-0-68493300-1359195995_thumb.j

post-37938-0-59550100-1359196031_thumb.j

post-37938-0-32111600-1359196052_thumb.j

I think they are all interesting and unique and will appeal to many folks.

I quite like the last one too. I think the stitched design gives it just the right touch.

The fringes and beads are nice too, but fringe tends to attract low flying cats and toddlers from the neighbors around here.

I enjoyed very much the story along with the pictures . Often the work says one thing and the back story quite another . I must confess the back story to me is very interesting ,most times when I guess about folks I am far from the mark . I have been making native bags for many years and would be interested very much in your patterns . I have found the smallest changes in dimensions make a huge difference in a bags appeal over all. I like the way all the embelishments are arranged its a pleaseing symphony of components . Just enough to make the bag interesting and still un cluttered . New Mexico has a huge native population with many sub cultures from tribe to tribe and from one publeo to another . My life has had me involved in this comunity for many years. I have enjoyed all my adventures and friendships greatly . Bill