austinb

Dyeing Edges After Burnishing

Hey all!

So I've been sort of banging my head against a wall trying to get a good burnishing technique figured out.

Ive tried Bob Parks method, and my results have gotten better, just not what I want.

I've noticed that when I wet the edge, then slick it with my cocobolo burnishing dremel wheel I get a decent glass edge, (that is if I actually do it right and don't use too much friction and burn the edge!)

However, I am still trying to get a consistently glassy edge.

My question however is though, is that after I burnish the edges with water, I trying dyeing them next with Fiebings alcohol dye. The dye seems to be very transparent and not very opaque.

Any tips on post-burnish dyeing and/or burnishing tips in general would be helpful. Thanks!

Do a light burnish just enough to smooth the edges a little, then dye. Then burnish to get your final glass smooth edge.

Edited by camano ridge

I do them both ways depending on how I feel with one exception. I burnish by hand......I tried the Dremel but it would burn the edges even at low speeds. I have noticed if you dye after burnishing you will get a lighter dye saturation, but if you let the soap dry and then dye. You should get better dye contact. I hope this helps.

What Camano said.

I burnish by converted grinder and dowel rod. I wet edge and no more. Burnish for shiny look. Dye a section at a time and burnish again. Not much pressure. The fresh dye will help compact the fibers further for a good shine. Normally, I dye again and use the old trusty super slick (sanded and waxed and worn silly smooth) dowel rod to bring the edge to a good mirror look. If it is still rough looking sand with 600 grit lightly, dye and burnish again.

On a so so piece of leather that didn't quite produce the edge you wanted, go back a day or two later, dye and use the dowel rod/stick.

The moisture content in the edges are key. Another thing I figured out.

personally, I dye then burnish, use a piece of heavy felt to apply dye then moisten with distilled water and saddle soap concoction after the dye has dried that is. hand burnish or mechanical burnish either way just make sure you go in one direction after you are nice and glassy slick run a piece of paraffin wax on the edge and polish with burlap or canvas or denim...