Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Romal Reins, Finally Done

Finally these are done. Boy I sure learned a lot along the way and I think my buttons kept getting better the more I tied. I am very happy with the last 4 I put on the romal.

4585504855_240affc814_b.jpg

4585505091_f33baeeddf_b.jpg

looks really good. I've been trying to work up the nerve and time to start a braiding project of that size.

great !!!! they look really good !!! isn't the "i finally finished" feeling great? i have to say the buttons look good overall, i have also found that making more and more buttons just makes it easier and they get better. well many props on this project and I cant wait to see your next project, what do you have in mind ?

take care

Edited by lilpep

great !!!! they look really good !!! isn't the "i finally finished" feeling great? i have to say the buttons look good overall, i have also found that making more and more buttons just makes it easier and they get better. well many props on this project and I cant wait to see your next project, what do you have in mind ?

take care

Looking back on this I think I should have a) built up more ground work for the pineapples on the reins b)used thinner string for them or c)used 4 bight knots. The 6 bights turned out great on the larger romal but got crowded on the reins. Maybe I'll cut them off and redo them? Probably not but...

Next up? Not sure, I think I'll do a few small things to donate as prizes at horse shows. I need to do another set a reins too for my trainer but I need a break before I start them. :)

Mike

Very nice show of skill Mike.

Brian...

what ever you work on next i'm sure it will be great no matter how much i think i know or understand knots i think the ground work is what i have trouble "eyeballing " but like i said they look great keep the pics coming

Mike

Very nice work!! You've come along way baby!

I'm pretty envious of ya. All I've been doing is strap work and starting to do a little bit of bike stuff. I'm not bitching as it pays good I just miss braiding I'll stop whining now. Once again very nice work.

Mike

Looking back on this I think I should have a) built up more ground work for the pineapples on the reins b)used thinner string for them or c)used 4 bight knots. The 6 bights turned out great on the larger romal but got crowded on the reins. Maybe I'll cut them off and redo them? Probably not but...

Next up? Not sure, I think I'll do a few small things to donate as prizes at horse shows. I need to do another set a reins too for my trainer but I need a break before I start them. :)

Mike

As soon as I finish something, no matter what it is, I immediately start thinking "I should have done this that or the other, I could do this, I could do that" instead of appreciating what I've just finished. So, well done! Nice job and they look terrific. I bet your wife will love using them.

And you are going to donate braiding as prizes at horse shows? Which shows, and could you do some in NM so I could win them? :D

And you are going to donate braiding as prizes at horse shows? Which shows, and could you do some in NM so I could win them? :D

SoCal EXCA shows. I compete in the Novice division. Come on out for one. :)

Hey Mike, Those look really great! I'm the first one to say "cut them off and start over" BUT once you finished a project you should let it be!! Cut them off as you are braiding them if they are not looking good but when the overall project is done then it is DONE! Move on, sell this set, give them away, use them yourself. I still use the first set of romel reins I braided out of some Tandy lace! Pretty crude work but they work! You can go back and forth with a single project till infinity and only have one thing to show OR you can start building up quite a nice collection of items; reins, hobbles, quirts, bosals, reatas, headstalls, hondas, hatbands, bracelets, bolos, keyfobs... did I forget anything. Any you get the picture! Get to braiding. And FYI I just redid a bosal, cut off the heelknot and nose band and kept the body BUT I had used it for 3-4 yrs already even though the nose band was not what I wanted it to be! I finally redid it now that I know what I want different . I've been braiding a few things that are all not quite finished yet and will post pics of everything in a week or so!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

[Gday Mick

I LOVE YA WORK MATE !!!!

looks good and we all know the time behind it all !! you should be proud of your work my friend because every horse would be proud to wear it my friend!!!

Wow!!! wow wow wow!!! You've turned into a great rawhide braider.