DavidL

Has Anyone Found A European Stitching Clamp Under $150?

I am currently using a makeshift stitching clamp from scrap wood parts, but it is very uncomfortable and too short for me to stitch. So my question to you is there any supplier in Canada (where I live) or even U.S or U.K that sells stitching clamps for under $150 preferably around the 100 mark.

The one I have found are the vergez blanchard from fine leather working - but is too expensive at 200

http://www.fineleatherworking.com

Any one who knows a store that sells old clamps or any websites that offer reliable shipping would be appreciated.

Sorry I don't know of any. To start me off I made a stitching Pony (unsure if this will do for you?). I didn't want to pay big bucks so I made one from scrap wood total cost of around £10. Took my time, it took me maybe 2 hours (including sanding and putting leather on) and it works fantastic.

I followed this guide to get me started.

http://thecraftycouple.wordpress.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-leathercraft-stitching-pony/

Abbey England have traditional stitching clams for £63.00, which is about $103.00, but shipping would be extra.

http://www.abbeyengl...GB/Default.aspx

Sheridan leather sells one that I use for when I'm on the road, works great! I believe they're a sponsor at te top of the page as well!

I check sheridan leather for the stitching clamp and it doesn't seem like they sell them anymore. the vergez blanchard seems like the best one i can find but is double the price of the abby england. Is there a happy medium? 120- 150 for a good quality clamp that will last decades.

I found it on Sheridan's site by searching for 'colt'...it's $80 and it doesn't say anything about them not having them anymore...

Look on eBay. They come up ever so often and rarely fetch a good price. I found mine on a flea market and I paid $50

Thanks for the replys. TXAG I found the stitching clamp under the name colt I must have missed it, but was looking for a more traditional clamp that would rest between my legs, I will have a go at flea markets when I have a chance.

I purchased mine from Abbey England. Their customer service is excellent and I experienced absolutely no problems with shipping across the "pond".

Thought I'd chime in here...I purchased one from Joseph Dixon earlier this summer. Believe it was about $150 by the time it got to me...in any case, I wanted to warn you that I'm not overly happy with it, as it's not hinged (difficult to get the work into the jaws) and to make matters worse it has warped on me and is essentially useless until I can repair it.

Dixon changed their manufacturer right before I ordered, so I expect what I've got is the result of a first batch of the new model. I will be looking for something better,

thanks for the heads up still looking for a vergez blanchard or a vintage clamp any one have links please post them up

If it's a classy stiching clamp you're after you can't get much better than one from Fred Moreau in France. I picked myself one up a couple of months ago

and it's a work of art, it will last a lifetime that's for sure.

Here's the link to his website

http://www.crafts-design.com/content/saddlers_clamps_page.html

Cheers

Zip

His work is beautiful, but quality of that type comes with a high price point. It's absolutely justifiable but still quite expensive.

If it's a classy stiching clamp you're after you can't get much better than one from Fred Moreau in France. I picked myself one up a couple of months ago

and it's a work of art, it will last a lifetime that's for sure.

Here's the link to his website

http://www.crafts-design.com/content/saddlers_clamps_page.html

Cheers

Zip

any chance of an indication of price, please?

any chance of an indication of price, please?

It's difficult to give a price because Fred offers so many variables and add ons. For example, I decided to go for a locking mechanism as I prefer to stitch

with the clam in a vertical position instead of the inclined manner, then you have a choice of woods,, wrist supports, needle magnets, vertical stabilitor and so on..

If you are interested I'd fire Fred an email, he's very approachable and genuinely interested in what he's doing and won't pressure you into anything you're not

ready to buy yet.

I'm certainly glad I bought mine, I spend one hell of a lot of time stitching and these clams make a pleasure even more pleasurable.

Hope that helps a little.......

Cheers

Zip

So not even a price range? $500? $1,000,000???

I don't get why it's such a big secret...makes me think it must be extraordinarily over-priced if no one can even utter a price range...

Edited by TXAG

thats what I'm wondering as well if it is under 150 il consider it but it looks really complex and i prefer just a good solid piece of wood but if its cheap i guess it will do

The most recent price list I have shows it at 139₤ (about $230 USD) for the base model. It goes up from there...not that bad. Sorry, I was looking at the vice mount version previously.

Given my experience with the Dixon model, I'd say it's worth every penny.

(EDIT I'm sorry, I read UK lbs but it should be Euro's...so about $190/US)

Edited by MadMorbius

Nothing to hide here Guys, I've just had a look at my invoice. The base price for the clam was 139 euros, then you have to add any extras you might fancy.

I believe it was money well spent. Depends where your priorities lie I guess. As I said, I spend a lot of time stitching, so for me it was a no brainer to have a

high quality well made tool.

Cheers

Zip

As I said, I prefer to use the clam in a vertical plane so, I went for a Locking Mechanism, a parallel guide (to aid lateral stability), the leg in ash instead of saple, and the reinforced and profiled saple jaws. Oh and the magnets to rest the needles and a storage bag.

Cheers

Zip

DavidL ,

I found the following You Tube video, showing how to build your own Stitching Pony. This simple design would be easy to do, very low cost and you would have the pride of making it yourself ! If you are "all thumbs" when it comes to a DIY project and/or don't have the tools, perhaps a friend could help. Like they say "Where there's a will, there's a way !"

Just type the following into your favorite search engine window (Google, Yahoo, etc., etc.) and make sure the volume is up enough on your speaker system. ;) "Making a Leatherworkers Clamp or Stitching Pony, by Harry Rogers"

This video was originally published on Sept. 12, 2013.

Happy Holidays and Good Luck !

ToddB68

DAVIDL.........BTW, in the You Tube video "Making a Leatherworkers Clamp or Stitching Pony, by Harry Rogers, he mentions the cost as being 2 or 3 Quid. I would assume that was just for the hardware (Bolts, etc.), since he already had the glue, hand tools and power tools.

Now, like we in the USA nicknamed our dollar a "Buck", the British nicknamed their pound a "Quid". So, the quid is a pound.

At the current exchange rate you might expect to spend 1.64 pounds x 3 USD, or around $5.00, if you could find some free wood cut-offs as he did ! Anyhow, this would be the most economical way to go outside of someone giving you a Stitching Pony absolutely FREE !

ToddB68

Edited by ToddB68