Go2Tex

international shipping

I have been presented with a bit of a problem. How to get a saddle shipped to another country. The quotes I get on-line with the usual suspects, DHL, UPS, USPS, are all so high as to make it prohibitive, almost $600 for a saddle with insurance.

Also, the customs, duty, export license stuff is a bit overwhelming and frankly, scary as hell. My question for yoose guys who have done it is,............. H E L P !

Tex, it's been my experience too. What I ended up doing is using a "Frieght forwarding" Company. It cost about 200 bucks to ship a saddle to Germany from Vancouver BC, by airplane. It was there in a couple days for pickup. Frieght forwarding companies ship for other companies. Keep in mind that you will want to package things well and small as possible. They charge for the cubic size and weight...

They don't deliver to customer door, I don't think so. Things need to be picked up at the nearest airport.

I hope that helps you.

Bob Goudreault

kamloops saddlery

Hey Brent,

I had to send a saddle to England last year and when I checked all the rates I found calling an airline to be the cheapest method. The only problem with this is that you have to drop the saddle off at the airport and the customer has to pick it up at their airport.

D.

Hey thanks guys! I knew somebody here would have some answers. Gotta love this forum. One question though. How do you insure the package if you use the Airlines? Do they provide it as an extra cost?

Go2tex I would talk to UPS again. I brought a sewing machine and stand over from England for $600.00 with insurance of similar value as a saddle. It was in two packages, weighed over 350 pounds and was here in a week. I regulary ship saddles to Canada for approx. $100.00 including $4500.00 insurance and have shipped to variuos parts of Europe for the $250.00 range. They have different levels of service and might be quoting you the fast rates. Greg

I have been presented with a bit of a problem. How to get a saddle shipped to another country. The quotes I get on-line with the usual suspects, DHL, UPS, USPS, are all so high as to make it prohibitive, almost $600 for a saddle with insurance.

Also, the customs, duty, export license stuff is a bit overwhelming and frankly, scary as hell. My question for yoose guys who have done it is,............. H E L P !

I ship a lot of international and it is seldom over $150.00. I use the USPS because they seem to have the best rates and the paper work is easy you just fill out Customes Declaration and Dispatch Note CP72. Usually the duty is on the person recieving to pay. I just shipped one to Germany yesterday for $42.00 but it went to an APO. If you know someone in the military you can ship to it can save you a lot of money. Normally I pay about $80.00 to Germany. Keep your box size down because the dimensional wieght will send it high.

David Genadek

One thing to keep in mind is that any of the courier companies will tack on a not insubstantial brokerage fee, payable by the recipient, to take anything across the border. It is also difficult to get them to estimate that fee for you. Sending by mail there is no fee for the border crossing. Just something to keep in mind so your customer doesn't get a surprise bill along with the item they paid you to ship.

We send a lot of stuff all over Europe always using USPS.

The rates is the best, easy custum forms to fill out with or without insurance and comes with tracking number so you can follow the package online on USPS's web site (and in many cases it can be tracked in the buyers countrys postal service website as well).

Gregg,

That might depend on the country I have been able to fully cover the saddles to both Germany and the United Kingdom. I have found it depends on who is working at the post office too. I ship a bunch to a trainer in Germany and her husband is in the special forces so I ship to an APO. I was putting Germany on the customs declaration so they were charging me the full rate to Germany. APOs should only get charged the fee to the miltary base in the US. I had to get a postal employee that had been around for a long time to get it straight. On another package I was told I couldn't get all the insurance I wanted to a country I knew I had gotten it for before, turns out that one gal didn't know how to get it into the computer.

David Genadek

..................have shipped to variuos parts of Europe for the $250.00 range. They have different levels of service and might be quoting you the fast rates. Greg

I believe you are correct about that. They have something called air freight and it quoted in the $400 range. So, I'll have to talk to them on the phone. I should be able to ship by slow boat for about $100.

Try Fed Ex. I sent a saddle to BC via Fed Ex ground from CA for $75. In fact I have found that Fed Ex ground is at least 25% cheaper than UPS for domestic shipping.

Try Fed Ex. I sent a saddle to BC via Fed Ex ground from CA for $75. In fact I have found that Fed Ex ground is at least 25% cheaper than UPS for domestic shipping.

Hello from Sweden.

I buy saddle trees and saddlery hardware from the US, and I always have it shipped by FedEx. I have used UPS once and I felt like being robbed on the street.

Hi, I sent my horns all over the world and the best price is USPS never had a problem