Sign in to follow this  
Menolly

Bodran

Hi All,

Does anyone know what kind of strap I should make for a Bodhran? It is an Irish folk instrument/drum. Would it be like a guitar strap? or thinner like a dulcimer strap? If anyone has a pattern I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help :D

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I play the Bodhran and have never used a strap. I'm not sure I've seen any other players use a strap either. I guess I'm not much help in your quest!

Dave

Ellen;

Google it and you'll find some stuff on that...

Here's what I came up with: I went to a local guitar shop and bought a set of "straploks" -- they're the screwposts that guitarists use to attach their guitar straps to the guitar. I was able to substitute the straploks for two of the screws holding my bodhran's crossbars in place...say at 12 and 3 o'clock. Then I purchased a guitar strap (went for the extra-long) and attached the "female" parts of the straplok system to the two ends of the guitar strap, positioning them on opposite sides of the strap. The strap clips onto the drum at the screwpost at 12 o'clock, comes over my left shoulder, around my back to my right side, across my abdomen, and clips into the drum on the post at the 3 o'clock position. It's worked very well for me, holding the drum in place so I can have the freedom to move my left hand. When my band plays out, I use the same type of clip-on mic that horn players use, and the freedom to move around is great. I've had a few players in my area adopt the same technique. Feel free to email me if you want more info.

Kevin