Sign in to follow this  
drof99

Hand stitching machines

Does anyone have any experience with the hand stitching machines? I've seen one in Tandy's catalog for around $1500. I was looking at finding one of these used. I sew holsters and sheaths mostly. I don't make alot of these right now because I just don't have the time for all the hand sewing. I would think that someone could find a used one for a lot less money. The leather I'm using now is around 8 to 9 oz weight. Do these do quality jobs? Anyone have on of these used that they would be willing to get rid of or know of a place to get them?

Drof99. the machine you are reffering to is a BOSS SEWING MACHINE, it is american made

manufactured by Tippman Industries. They are a fine machine and they do have their own little

quirts. I have had mine for over 10 years and i like it.

They do appear on E-Bay often ,but the price will run $800.00 - $1000.00 +

hope this helps.

crock_sheath.jpgdroff 99... my machine and sheath i am working on

post-1906-1221528689_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with the hand stitching machines? I've seen one in Tandy's catalog for around $1500. I was looking at finding one of these used. I sew holsters and sheaths mostly. I don't make alot of these right now because I just don't have the time for all the hand sewing. I would think that someone could find a used one for a lot less money. The leather I'm using now is around 8 to 9 oz weight. Do these do quality jobs? Anyone have on of these used that they would be willing to get rid of or know of a place to get them?

The Tippmann's a little quirky, but workable when you've figured it out. I've got one, and wouldn't buy another. What I recommend is spending a few hundred dollars more and buying an Artisan Toro 3000. It will do everything the Tippmann does, and then some. It's also a powered machine. Artisan's customer service is the best I've ever seen, and they'll be there when you need them. I don't make a nickel by referring these folks, but I refer them every chance I get. That's how good they are. Check out the website at www.ArtisanSew.com. Ask for Steve, he's a heck of a guy. You'll be happy, I promise.

Like Bruce said, the Tippmann Boss is a bit of a quirky machine.

Mine does not like suede leather, . . . nor anything under a quarter of an inch in thickness.

And sometimes, . . . well, . . . it just has a mind of it's own, . . . and that's all there is to it.

You might also try Craigslist, . . . or Ebay, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I have a Tippman Boss and use it for holsters with no trouble. I also sew chaps and have even sewen nylon with it.

The book that comes with it is small but very informative on how to make adjustments to get the best stitch.

I have not had a problem with it being "tempermental" but I am !! LOL !! It just stitches away.

The Boss is the machine I have at home. I have 4 machines that I can use at the saddle shop I work at. elec. If I had the $$$ I would buy elec. machines as well.

The Tippman is worth the money and resale is good as well!

I listened to Bruce, Kevin from KD holster and Nate at Ugly Bald Guy holsters and bought a Toro 3000 for my stitching needs. About $700 more delivered but worth every penny IMHO.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'd love to have an electric machine but its just not in the budget right now. I won't be able to buy one of these new. I need to look for a good used one. If anyone know of one or has one please pass it my way. Sounds like the Artisan is the way to go after I get a little more scratch saved up. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'd love to have an electric machine but its just not in the budget right now. I won't be able to buy one of these new. I need to look for a good used one. If anyone know of one or has one please pass it my way. Sounds like the Artisan is the way to go after I get a little more scratch saved up. Thanks again!

You won't regret it. With the powered machine you can do a lot more stuff.