I am starting two projects for someone (pancake holsters). They both shouldn't be a problem but the one thing that concerns me is that he wants the guns to ride higher than normal. I imagine the highest I can place the rear of the ejection port is at the top of the belt line. One is a Colt Officer 1911 which may be OK but the other is Glock 23 and my concern is the pistol wanting to "fall away" from the body due to the weight of a double stack mag. I plan to use horse hide as the reinforcing piece which should stabilize it more. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I simply refuse to make exceptionally "high ride" holsters. My reputation and my customer's safety is more important to me than a whim on the part of a customer.

If he/she decides to go elsewhere, . . . that is their decision. But there needs to be enough of the weapon below the belt line that the weapon does not "rock" back and forth. If it does, . . . it will loosen up the holster, . . . gun will fall out, . . . you will be the bad guy, . . . or worse. Falling firearms are never a good thing.

I make mine so that there is a good hand hold between the belt and the grip, . . . and nothing more. If they are wearing their britches up where they should be, . . . it already rides fairly high.

You can see my website for a basic example.

May God bless,

Dwight

I would agree 100 percent with Dwight.. If it is not Safe or you really don,t have a good feeling about it.. Forget it .

I also won't do one that I don't feel is safe, I've put to much work into my business to risk it.

I'll go this high and only if it's going to be carried on a proper belt.

Pancake_zps4e9efa5c.jpg

Agreed about making something you know will not work out but I think it is good to push a design to improve a project.

Basic rule of thumb is to keep in mind the weight distribution of the intended handgun, including ammunition load, and place the balance point no higher than the upper belt-line. Going higher brings on the likelihood of the holstered handgun tipping out away from the body, compromising both security and concealment.

Every handgun different. The modern polymer-framed large capacity semi-autos present some challenges due to the weight of a loaded magazine in the grip-frame, which brings the balance point further to the rear of the handgun.

If working with dummy guns we are limited because the weight, weight distribution, and balance point are not really apparent. The only real cure is to handle the actual handgun, fully loaded, to determine where to draw the line.

I agree with others who have pointed out that it is best to walk away from the customer who wants an extremely high ride. That customer will never remember that it was his bad idea, but he will always remember that it was the holster maker who failed to make his dream a reality.

Here's a generic pic I borrowed to show the only high ride holster style I've made with a balance point above 'center of belt'.....post-5374-0-79387300-1420552277_thumb.jp

Thanks for all your advice.