dmr400

First Post Of First Holsters From New Shop

Hello everyone, thought I would ask for some critiques now that I have my shop set up and have made a few things with all my new equipment (I was previously doing EVERYTHING by hand on a footlocker in my room in Baghdad, no power equipment whatsoever. Now that I'm back in the states things go a lot faster! smile.gif New sewing machine, belt/spindle sander, drill press for burnishing, etc.) Any feedback/criticisms would be appreciated! I'll post in the order I made them (all are made from Hermann Oak, colored with vinegaroon and neatsfoot oil, and finished with Bag Kote):

GlockIWB.jpg

This IWB was for myself, had a new Glock and wanted to take it out but didn't have a holster for it. Pretty rough, and was still learning to use the sewing machine even halfway proficiently. Didn't do a great job on the burnishing either, especially on the belt loops, was still experimenting with different methods. 7/8 oz Hermann Oak.

DualCarrier.jpg

There were a couple small things made in between the IWB holster and this carrier (this is actually attempt #2 on this one, didn't like the layout on the first one. Starting to get the hang of the sewing machine a little bit better, but not especially happy with the molding job. 7/8 oz HO leather again.

PocketHolster.jpg

Pocket holster for a J Frame, I've tweaked the size of the anti printing flap on the pattern to make it cover the whole grip but haven't built another one yet. 5/6 oz HO. Boning is still kinda rough.

Pancake.jpg

Finished this simple pancake for a J Frame last night. I'm much happier overall with this one, and I feel like I've got the edges figured out (Thanks to hidepounders tutorial and a few tips garnered elsewhere, like many others on the forum I suspect) Overall, I'm pretty happy with this one for now and feel like I'm making improvement. I have a lot of practice to do on detail boning though.

Anyway, here they are. All criticisms and suggestions for improvement appreciated! Thanks!

I like your work alot dude! That mag + light holder is real nice, and carries the light the right way (lamp end down) so it's ready to use when you pull it out. Have you ever checked out Graham Combat rings? They made sense to me when I first saw them at a class put on by the guy who invented the simple little things - they let you use a light with a two handed hold on the pistol. Check em out ( I was at the class standing uprange when this video was taken)...

I have no financial interest - just thought I'd share.

Your detail boning looks pretty good to me. I am still getting my detail boning skill dialed in, but I have learned a few things...

I first used a cocobolo rub stick for detail work at my local Tandy class, and I realized cocobolo is the way to go. The oily nature of cocobolo makes it glide over wet leather really easily and IMO makes a huge difference. I also have learned that the type of leather makes a huge difference in ease of detailing - Herman Oak seems to be more supple and easier to work with than any other kind that I have tried. I know you said you used HO leather - have you noticed this too?

I also have found that the little Crafttool modeling tool that looks like a tiny spoon is really useful in creating the kind of sharp impressions from one "elevation" of leather to another. What detail tools are you using?

olliesrevenge,

Those rings look pretty functional. For the $9, looks like it might be worth a try. I was at the range working on my light techniques last weekend, and any kind of a load or malfunction drill takes on a WHOLE new set of challenges with a light, with lots of room for error.

HO is the best leather I've tried so far, but it's also the first premium type leather I've used. At some point I may try Wicket & Craig just for grins, but I'm very happy with the HO. As for molding tools, I use the handle end of a creaser (Very old hardwood of indeterminate type), a bone folder, and a butter knife with a handle I've polished a couple of rough corners off of. I've thought about cocobolo but haven't tried it, what are you using and where did you get it?

I've thought about cocobolo but haven't tried it, what are you using and where did you get it?

The only time I used cocobolo was at the Tandy class. The manager of the store had two tools - One was shaped like a marker pen, cylindrical, with one end rounded and one end tapered down w/ a smaller rounded tip. The other tool was of a similar theme (with one end rounded and one end tapered down w/ a smaller rounded tip), but it was slightly larger and had a flat profile to it. They were both sanded to a very fine polish.

After the class I went to my local hardwood lumber store and bought a 1 1/2 x 3 size stick of cocobolo about 3ft long for $20. I have yet to get around to cutting it down to make some rub sticks out of it. One of these days!

congrats and welcome home... the stuff looks cool... love the vinegar black... did you line the stuff? or leave it in the 'raw' and burnish the back/insides? just curious... i've only recently been a convert to making my own 'home brew' rather than using the fiebing's route... and still trying to work out the kinks... anyway... the holster and mag look well made... take care...

eric

Mugwump,

Didn't line any of them, but I am working on a lined prototype of a womens holster at the moment. Haven't gotten the kinks worked out yet, when I do I'll post a pic of it.

Ive gotten cocobo off of ebay before. Things like pen blanks (the solid ones) and Ive also used the small boards 1/4"x4"x15" or so. Just cut out the portion you need and shape it to what you will use it for. Its cheap and just takes a little elbow grease and you have a very nice edger/burnisher for your needs.

So far I have liked cocobo the best for my needs.

Wanted to add a pic of what I use now. One is a edge burnisher and I use the other end for misc stuff. It is cocobo. The other one is rounder and has a flat rounded off tip, I use both ends for molding. Ive only had that one for about a week or so and have just started using it but it works very well so far. I dont remember what type of wood it is. The awl is there just for size comparison.

burnisher.jpg

post-5781-127535163696_thumb.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

Hey DMR,

Quick input. I've been carrying a combo leatherman, cellphone case like your mag, light pouch for many years now. It's now version 2 now (three phones later), and been using my current for probably four or five years daily. Not having enough room to sew in a middle belt loop, to keep it close to the body, one was riveted in place. Never had a problem with either, and works like a charm.

Stay low, and watch your six,

Marc

Edited by MBOGO