corter

suggestions for buying my first machine

so my business is growing to the point where i need to start getting wallets made faster. i'm working on finding some sort of mill or shop (amish type thing) that can make my stock products for me, but i'd also like to get a machine right now to do my custom work. i've done a bit of research but i'm basically looking for suggestions on good (pref. used) machines. I need to be able to sew 4-5 layers of 4-5oz leather at the most, so it doesn't need to be super super tough, but it cant be a fabric machine.

any thoughts?

ok, so i've been looking around, and what does anyone know about the singer 15-91? it seems like a nice durable machine and it's small, so it would fit in my apt.

CORTER i beleive you will be better off if you get a newer machine with a walking foot.spend a little more $$$

now will be saving you $$$ in the long run.

there are some good used machines out there....singer, consew, jukie,

Hi Corter,

First consideration should be if you need a cylinder arm machine for your work. There is a greater selection available in flat bed machines. The next consideration is machine size, and you have specified 4-5 layers of 4-5oz which means 25oz of something, so you need a machine that will sew 3/8" or about 11mm. So, Consew 206RB-3, 4, 5, Pfaff 545, Artisan 618, Artisan 797, Ferdco 1245, Pfaff 1245, Singer 111, Singer 211, there are just a slew of machines new and used out there that will fill that purpose. In my opinion, the Singer 15 really isn't in that class. We have covered a bunch of machines on this forum and a bit of reading will get you a wealth of information. Used machines can be a little problem if you are not a little bit machine savvy or mechanically oriented. I usually recommend that the first machine be purchased new from a reputable dealer, and I don't mean the corner sewing store. Industrial machines are very different from what is sold today for home use, most "older" sewing machine mechanics can handle them, but there is someone around to help. Ebay is not the best place to purchase a sewing machine, new or used, as they work pretty much in sell it and forget it mode. There are a few sellers who are established stores (brick and mortar) who are ok, Raphael and Atlantic to name some.

Look for a good industrial machine, it will last you forever.

Art

so my business is growing to the point where i need to start getting wallets made faster. i'm working on finding some sort of mill or shop (amish type thing) that can make my stock products for me, but i'd also like to get a machine right now to do my custom work. i've done a bit of research but i'm basically looking for suggestions on good (pref. used) machines. I need to be able to sew 4-5 layers of 4-5oz leather at the most, so it doesn't need to be super super tough, but it cant be a fabric machine.

any thoughts?

Hi Corter,

First consideration should be if you need a cylinder arm machine for your work. There is a greater selection available in flat bed machines. The next consideration is machine size, and you have specified 4-5 layers of 4-5oz which means 25oz of something, so you need a machine that will sew 3/8" or about 11mm. So, Consew 206RB-3, 4, 5, Pfaff 545, Artisan 618, Artisan 797, Ferdco 1245, Pfaff 1245, Singer 111, Singer 211, there are just a slew of machines new and used out there that will fill that purpose. In my opinion, the Singer 15 really isn't in that class. We have covered a bunch of machines on this forum and a bit of reading will get you a wealth of information. Used machines can be a little problem if you are not a little bit machine savvy or mechanically oriented. I usually recommend that the first machine be purchased new from a reputable dealer, and I don't mean the corner sewing store. Industrial machines are very different from what is sold today for home use, most "older" sewing machine mechanics can handle them, but there is someone around to help. Ebay is not the best place to purchase a sewing machine, new or used, as they work pretty much in sell it and forget it mode. There are a few sellers who are established stores (brick and mortar) who are ok, Raphael and Atlantic to name some.

Look for a good industrial machine, it will last you forever.

Art

thanks art! Should have included more information, as I've been researching on here and really can't pinpoint what it is that i need. I don't think i need a cylinder arm, and infact I don't have room in my tiny boston apartment for one. I only do wallets, possibly some hip bags but nothing huge. 4 layers of leather is the most i've ever sewed, i usually do 2-3. as this is my first forray into a sewing machine, and i'm a college student, an industrial machine is way out of my league. I have about $5-600 to spend, so i want to get the most bang for the buck. I agree that it's best to save and get a nice machine now so i won't have to upgrade, but unfortunately i can't do that right now.

that's basically the reason I asked about an older singer machine, it looked very well built and all metal, and the one i found was rebuilt and refurbished for a decent price. It got me thinking i could buy a cheaper used one and take it in to get serviced myself, maybe save a bit more money. I know it's not the absolute best for my needs, but it seems to certainly be capable enough. Are there more machines like this? I couldnt really find much information about the ones you listed.

Hi Corter,

Used Pfaff 545, Consew 206RB3, Singer 111W155, or if you need a smaller machine, a Sailrite LS-1 machine goes for around $650 new, cheaper if you buy one of it's cousins which are not finished as well but still capable for small stuff. We have a few folks here that use the Sailrite type machine for their work and it IS small and portable and probably just right for wallets.

Check here for the Sailrite, Consew, and Reliable models (there are two base machines straight and zigzag, the differences are in the finish and the accessories on board).

Art

thanks art! Should have included more information, as I've been researching on here and really can't pinpoint what it is that i need. I don't think i need a cylinder arm, and infact I don't have room in my tiny boston apartment for one. I only do wallets, possibly some hip bags but nothing huge. 4 layers of leather is the most i've ever sewed, i usually do 2-3. as this is my first forray into a sewing machine, and i'm a college student, an industrial machine is way out of my league. I have about $5-600 to spend, so i want to get the most bang for the buck. I agree that it's best to save and get a nice machine now so i won't have to upgrade, but unfortunately i can't do that right now.

that's basically the reason I asked about an older singer machine, it looked very well built and all metal, and the one i found was rebuilt and refurbished for a decent price. It got me thinking i could buy a cheaper used one and take it in to get serviced myself, maybe save a bit more money. I know it's not the absolute best for my needs, but it seems to certainly be capable enough. Are there more machines like this? I couldnt really find much information about the ones you listed.

awesome! i'm worried about the walking foot though, won't it leave marks on the leather? i really don't want that, i watched the video on the sailrite website and while it looks like the perfect machine for my needs, there were very visible marks on the underside of the leather when they sewed it.

There are leather feet for the Sailrite, and you can file and buff any real sharp edges from the dogs. Also, loosen the presser foot tension a bit. Give Sailrite a call, they are easy to work with.

Art

awesome! i'm worried about the walking foot though, won't it leave marks on the leather? i really don't want that, i watched the video on the sailrite website and while it looks like the perfect machine for my needs, there were very visible marks on the underside of the leather when they sewed it.

There are leather feet for the Sailrite, and you can file and buff any real sharp edges from the dogs. Also, loosen the presser foot tension a bit. Give Sailrite a call, they are easy to work with.

Art

ok cool, thanks so much! the salrite is looking like the machine for me, brand new with a good company to back it

how about the mercury that is sale here in the for sale adds. I used one of a friend and it was vary nice to use. not shere if it would work is a little biger but as thay as bigger is better.

Russell