klarr74

So I Am Brand New To This And About To Pull My Hair Out!

Hello, my name is Kristen and this is the first time I have ever tried any type of "craft". I show dogs so of course the main thing in am interested in is making collars for my dogs :) The problem is that I am not interested in making "cheap" kit leather collars. I have found many types of collars that I hope to gradually make my way up into making as I gain in skill level.

So my husband bought me the Pro Leatherworker Kit from Tandy leather for our anniversary along with a leather belly. :) Today we purchased a solid oak work table from Harbor Freight, then returned to Tandy and picked up a Stitch Awl kit from Tandy, some dye (red and black) edge kote, contact cement, sheep wool scraps, some camel hair brushes, copper rivets, decrative conchos, thread (black and white) a cooper rivet and burr setter, buckles (various sizes) and of course some leather remnants to practice any tooling on first.

Here is what I hope to make on my first "project" It seems to be one of the more simple collars that I like with a matching leash.

staffy_collar_leash-1.jpg

1st problem: I cannot find the "stafford knot" concho anywhere for sale :( Here is what it looks like staffordknot.jpg

I have some of my dog friends in Finland, Austrailia, Austria, and Holland trying to find me a supplier if I can't find one somewhere in the USA. (I live in Oklahoma)

2nd problem: The 'hardware" available at Tandy just didn't seem to be high quality to me. Most of the nicer collars I have owned in the past or seen for sale have a much sturdier quality. Where do I find better hardware(buckles, D rings, snaps, quick releases) for my collar and leashes? These will also be use for "working dogs" so it must stand up to hard conditions.

I'm just starting with my first two problems...lol I have many! I've been watching video's online but some of the ones I have found about making a collar just has music in the background and they don't describe what they are doing and they use machines which doesn't really help me much :( But I have found all kinds of beautiful collars I hope to one day make! Just need guidance.

Thanks for reading :)

Kristen

Good luck and Congrats!

Try this site.....www.conchos.com

You can get it here , but it does involve shipping across the pond.

Good luck and Congrats!

Try this site.....www.conchos.com

Thank you... but they do not carry a 'Stafford Knot concho' on that site.

You can get it here , but it does involve shipping across the pond.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: My friend also sent me that link so I hope they are a good source for sure!! They DO carry what I am looking for....I also received your email, thank you very much for finding the site. Have you actually bought from them before? Or did you just find the link?

Okay, so tonight my husband and friend put together the new work bench and I unpacked the tools. Tomorrow I plan on experimenting with the tools! I'm quite excited but at the same time very scared :) It's not that fancy, but hope to get more stuff as I learn. So now back to reading the forum.

:whatdoyouthink:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Edited by klarr74

Hi Klarr, nice looking bench. You have alot better set than i did when i started. My stamping stone was the front porch with a 5 gallon bucket to set on and my bench was a card table. When i got one side of a 10 by 12 foot shed i was in Hog Heaven..LOL. About 5 years ago i built a 24x 36 foot shop to work in. It's like the old saying "ten thousand mile walk begins with the first step" and you have took the first step. You on your way now.

John

Hi Klarr, nice looking bench. You have alot better set than i did when i started. My stamping stone was the front porch with a 5 gallon bucket to set on and my bench was a card table. When i got one side of a 10 by 12 foot shed i was in Hog Heaven..LOL. About 5 years ago i built a 24x 36 foot shop to work in. It's like the old saying "ten thousand mile walk begins with the first step" and you have took the first step. You on your way now.

John

Thanks John. Very nice to meet ya! I'm glad I'm not starting out with a bucket! I now want to make labels for everything so I can remember what the tool is and what it is used for...and also hope to put a peg board on the wall to hold stuff. Now I need to find a comfy chair. hehehe It has a vice on one side of it and it also has holes in the top of it so that you can mount things to the top. We were thinking of mounting our re-loader to it. We also have a shed outside that has a smaller work surface with electricity....but I kinda prefer air conditioning myself! lol

Kristen

:You_Rock_Emoticon: My friend also sent me that link so I hope they are a good source for sure!! They DO carry what I am looking for....I also received your email, thank you very much for finding the site. Have you actually bought from them before? Or did you just find the link?

I've been buying from them for years, very friendly and helpful staff. A word of advice on that sewing awl, don't bother taking it out of the pack. A lot of us bought one when starting out, they are all now stuffed away in the cellar or buried in the yard. Get a copy of Al Stohlman's "the art of hand sewing leather", a decent awl and a pack of saddlers needles. It will save you hours of frustration.

Looks like what you lack in experience is more than made up for in enthusiasm . . . excellent!! I suggest that Tandy awls are good for cleaning fingernails - not much else!

Le Prevo are brilliant - been using them for over 25 years. They also have a superb Superstrong hide, that is ideal for really serious dog-stuff . . . see http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm.

Let's see some results soon!

you wrote: :) It's not that fancy, but hope to get more stuff as I learn.

Don't worry - You don't need more stuff! LOL You have a lot of stuff!

time to get cracking and make something! Every once in awhile when I'm in my shop and a bit nervous about doing something for the first time, I'll put it off by sorting stuff..... Pretty soon I realize what I'm doing, force myself to get started and end up making progress.

It can be a bit intimidating to start a new craft. Just remember - don't compare your work to some of the incredible stuff you'll see on this site, especially not at first. Some people feel like throwing in the towel when their early efforts don't compare.

You'll probably be frustrated with your progress for awhile but that can be a good thing. Just keep pounding the leather and ask questions after you've tried things and can't figure them out on your own and practice, practice, practice. The place where you bought your tools can be a really good source for help as well.

Enjoy!

Ann

Congrats on getting started on a new obsession. I'll warn you now, it will get expensive, and you'll never quit learning. On the up side, you'll meet some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet.

One thing you said jumped out at me, you bought a tooling belly. That's all fine and good for practice, or anything that doesn't need strength, but for a dog collar or lead you really need to go with good strap leather. A double shoulder will work, but if you can afford it go with a "double bend". The strongest part of the hide is right up around the spine area. This part of the skin moves and stretches the least. The belly the most. The shoulder area is kind of in between. Anything you can use for belts would be good for leads and collars. I own two Rottie crosses and either one would stretch a poor quality lead in a heart beat. I finally made a couple up out of 1" wide latigo. This is the same stuff most horse harness is made of! Now if they didn't outweigh my wife she might be able to walk them. :)

There's lots of good info on selecting a hide, and what areas of the hide are good for what kinds of projects on this board. There is also good info in the basic Leathercraft book from Tandy.

Hope this helps

Dave T.

Congrats on getting started on a new obsession. I'll warn you now, it will get expensive, and you'll never quit learning. On the up side, you'll meet some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet.

One thing you said jumped out at me, you bought a tooling belly. That's all fine and good for practice, or anything that doesn't need strength, but for a dog collar or lead you really need to go with good strap leather. A double shoulder will work, but if you can afford it go with a "double bend". The strongest part of the hide is right up around the spine area. This part of the skin moves and stretches the least. The belly the most. The shoulder area is kind of in between. Anything you can use for belts would be good for leads and collars. I own two Rottie crosses and either one would stretch a poor quality lead in a heart beat. I finally made a couple up out of 1" wide latigo. This is the same stuff most horse harness is made of! Now if they didn't outweigh my wife she might be able to walk them. :)

There's lots of good info on selecting a hide, and what areas of the hide are good for what kinds of projects on this board. There is also good info in the basic Leathercraft book from Tandy.

Hope this helps

Dave T.

Hi Dave :)

Yes, I believe the belly was the wrong thing to buy. But that is what they told my husband to purchase so he did. He told them what it was for :( The types of collars I would like to make I have seen on sites saying they are made out of English Bridle Leather. I asked Tandy if they had any and they told me NO. I also did not have every think I needed in the "kit" so I have spent even more money now...my husband is going to KILL ME! lol

I took my first class at Tandy last week. It was how to use the basket weave tool. I am very slowly getting there. I wonder if Tandy would take the belly back? I haven't cut on it yet...like let me trade it in for something that I can use. I dunno, I will have to ask.

Are you good with looking at leather and knowing what they used to make something with? If you are...would you mind if I sent you some pictures and tell me what you think they are using?

Thanks,

Kristen

Keep the belly. It was only $20 and you'll use it for something eventually. You're not just going to make collars and leads all the time.

As far as better hardware, I'd suggest you check hardware stores for more heavy duty stuff. I'd also suggest boatyards and marinas for nice solid brass hardware, but you're not really near any water...

Keep the belly. It was only $20 and you'll use it for something eventually. You're not just going to make collars and leads all the time.

As far as better hardware, I'd suggest you check hardware stores for more heavy duty stuff. I'd also suggest boatyards and marinas for nice solid brass hardware, but you're not really near any water...

I did find a place that is wonderful and has tons of stuff that I would like to get but I can't buy anything from them :( I am don't have a "business" :ranting2:

This place: http://www.leathersupply.com/index.php

They have a wonderful selection in all types of sizes and such.

Also, does anyone know where you can buy English Bridle Leather in smaller quantities other than an entire side? Like $40 worth instead of $150 worth at a time? That is what many of the collar people say they use. And it already comes "colored" also :)

Welcome, and it's good to see a 'newbie' interested in the craft. For heavy hardware you might try a good feed store that caters to the equine trade. They usually have snaffles, D rings, etc. in brass and nickle. NOW, might I suggest that you purchase Al Stohlman's book on how to sew leather......then throw that nasty sewing awl kit thing from Tandy just as far as you can! I don't believe that there is a more disappointing, infuriating, useless piece of equipment for sewing leather in the world. Learn to saddle stitch, practice, and you will be well satisfied with your results, contrary to the outcome with the Tandy "THING". Just an opinion and a suggestion from a grumpy old man. Mike

P.S. I do nothing but hand stitch all of my goods. If you wish to see a sample of hand stitching, look in the holsters section. Many of the craftsmen there hand stitch all of their goods.

Edited by katsass

Some how I double posted. lol

Welcome to Leatherworker.net. It is a Great Site with Fantastic people!! I saw the wholesale site you were looking at was Weaver Leather. Try Springfield Leather for your hardware. (they advertise on this site). Kevin carries items from a number of suppliers including Weaver Leather. Give them a call and if they don't have it, I'll bet they can order it for you...and you don't have to be a business to buy from them.

Enjoy the addiction !! Deb

Edited by Deb59

Ok! I finished my first ever leather project tonight! *clap* *clap* And even though I messed up and it is FAR from perfect I am still pretty proud. Just wanted to share it with you. Now I need to see if it fits my guy Apache or my brothers dog Tank the best :-))

Voila!

:cheers:

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

I don't think the dog will notice the mistakes.

Nice job.

Your dog is going to be looking sharp for sure. Nice job.

Here are some businesses you may want to shop to get good supplies:

Siegel even ships free if your order is over $75, which is easy when buying leather and tools.

Sparks

Here are some businesses you may want to shop to get good supplies:

Siegel even ships free if your order is over $75, which is easy when buying leather and tools.

Sparks

I really like www.brettunsvillage.com for leather and hardware/tools/etc. Everything is "free shipping"/shipping included. I really like the newsletter, funny stuff.

I too am in Oklahoma and just getting started in leather craft. We also are getting involved in dog showing as well and our first show is next month. I'm most interested in making high quality dog collars and leashes from latigo with solid brass/nickle hardware as well as some human items like pouches, wallets, belts, etc. Tooling is not my interest by any means though. I have found that the local (OKC) Tandy will tell you what you want to hear and direct you to products they claim you "need" to increase their profit. Shopping online and doing a lot of research and asking questions seems to be the best way to go. It looks like you have a nice setup in your home. Good luck.