gmace99

How To Do A English Point Useing A Round Knife

If you use a divider to make a small line to guide you, that gives a bit more of precision. At least for people such as myself who haven't used that method for years and years.

Verlane showed me that years ago, haven't used a strap end punch since. Round knife has to be bleeding sharp for that method to work well.

Art

As a piece work saddle maker, I learnt to use as little tools as you can. Picking up dividers would mean another job therefor using up money time.

I have not cut a point in years. As a saddle maker it is not something I would do.

I thought it would help some people. The dividers are also a good idea for people to help practice.

I have been a professional leather worker for 30 years and have decided to retire at 55. In my retirement I have started a saddle school and hope to do some more videos to help people to learn more about leatherwork .

If you could come up with a really good set of English Saddle Making and Repair Videos in high definition, they would sell easily. I wish you good luck with it.

Art

Art

That is my project for this winter. I started doing a video years ago and writen notes to go with it. Then business got busy I ended up running 4 Businesses and could not find the time to complete the video.

The old video I have been putting on youtube. The quality is not great but it should be of help to some people. Posting them gave me a chance to learn that I should go into more detail on my new Dvd.

My aim is to do lots of recording in more detail and in time do follow up Dvd's showing how to do things like a inset seats and a mono flap style saddles.

The hard bit for me is finding a camcorder to record with. I know nothing about them and don't want to spend stupid money for something that will never be used again after I do this Dvd.

Thank you for this, very informative :) I'm going to try it in the morning I think!

I have one English point chisel I bought from weaver when I made 30 GPS trackin g collars. Great tool that saved me a lot of time. However, they are very expensive, and I can't justify buying one for all the different size straps I make. The method you demonstrated is awesome, thanks so much.

I have four different size chisels but been lazy I just pick up my round knife unless I am doing several.

Thanks for sharing that video. Learning techniques like this one allows us to have the money available to buy more leather.

I like a #11 x-acto blade. Quick cutting, perpendicular cuts (no angled edges), cheap (50¢), and no sharpening (pitch it and replace it every 5th or 6th strap).