Jim

Making Belts, The Easy Way

Back when I was younger and had all my hair, I decided I wanted to make my own belt rather than settling for what I could get from the store. So, I asked some advice from one of them "experts." I says, "How long do I make it?" He says "Add four inches."

"Mmm-kay. Add four inches to what" At which point I got a crash course in rocket science that I didn't want or need. So, I did what most folks do and measured out my old belt. That worked.

But then a feller asked me to make him one. Mmm-kay. Now I'm in trouble.

Moral of the story is I got tired of the hit and miss, the re-do's, and utterance of profane syllables. So, I created the little tutorial posted here and want to share it all you fellow leather workers for your enjoyment. This is the end result of a lot of hard work, so use it well.

It is formatted on letter size sheets so you can print at home.

Folks, I discovered that I posted a faulty Size Chart with this. I have replaced it with a correct set so please re-download and forgive my oversight.

Enjoy,

Jim

Dress Belts.pdf

Edited by Jim

Thanks very much Jim, this will come in real handy !!!

My apologies folks, but this is what keeps me humble. Of those of you who have downloaded the file, delete and re-download the new file.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate all the measurements, etc.

(And the funny story that went with it didn't hurt, either. ;) )

Thank you Jim this will come in very handy.

Jim, this is just what I needed, thank you for your generosity.

It's my pleasure. I have been following topics on belt making and there are several new crafters that need that extra little something to get them in the right direction.

The belt measurements for the center bar and heel buckled belts are the same I have used for years for dress belts as well as gun belts and have always worked. Then out of the blue I decided to add measurements for shield buckled belts. That's where my "OOPS" came in yesterday. The belts for shield buckles will generally be 2" shorter because of the length of the buckle. Well, dummy me went and adjusted 2" off of everything. Then right after it posted that little voice in the back of my head said "Jim that ain't right. The buckle to center hole doesn't change." D'oh!

So, the chart and instructions posted are correct and most sincere apologies for the slip up. I almost create a bigger problem than I was trying to fix.

Have fun with this, I have plans for more in the future.

Jim

love the quick reference Chart, Thanks

Thank you Jim, as usual for all the tutorials kindly provided! When I saw a topic started by Jim Simmons I immediately feel like it's Christmas day :) for something new and useful made to learn leather craft!

This is great. I'm new to making belts and this clears it up a bit.

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much Jim!

Super helpful!

Thanks for sharing Jim!

Thank you for a very useful tool.

Thanks Jim

Do you have any " how to" info for making Ranger style belts?

Thanks for sharing Jim. Do you mind if I share with my students and followers on FB with appropriate credit to you, of course?

An ordinary man can live a long and fruitful life and then fade away into history with little more than his name on a stone.

But one who teaches others what he has learned will have a bit of himself living for many generations.

I don't think we always appreciate those who take the time to make patterns or layouts or instructions and pass them on to others. Even when we acknowledge someone who answers our questions or critiques our work or points us in a better direction, do we value the effort enough to do the same as we develop our own skills?

Sitting on the desktop next to my keyboard are DVDs from one of the guys I consider a master at his craft. I have some others on a shelf from another master who not only has answered questions for me online, but has also called me and talked me through problems I might have spent years solving.

So thank you, Jim, and all those folks that push us in a better direction!

Thanks Jim

Do you have any " how to" info for making Ranger style belts?

You'd better believe it!

And thank you Texas Jack. I remember too well whenever I asked a leather worker how something was done and always got the same answer; TRADE SECRET! I swore that I would never say that to anyone. Never have and never will.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, . . .

I use a little different approach, . . . but it comes out the same.

One thing I thought you probably should have added, . . . "Don't ever let the buyer TELL you what size belt he/she needs".

Measure the belt he/she is wearing, . . . then ask them if they are going to wear the new one any differently than this one.

One of my first belts was for a guy who wore 36 waist Levi's, . . . so he wanted a 36 in belt. His "want" was 36, . . . his "need" was 41.

That and having made a gun / holster rig (53 inch belt) that turned out too small, . . . in the 30 days I took to get his order done, . . . well, . . . I had to add 3 inches to the belt.

Have fun, belt makers, . . . Jim gave you all some really good tips, . . . use em.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, your right. And is why I added the never fail belt tester. When in doubt, measure it out. (Wow, two rhymes in a row.)

Just proves that the customer ain't always right. If some one give you wrong information, they pay for it. That'll learn em dern em!

(Man, I'm on a roll!)

Love you all!

Jim

Had a real similar experience as Dwight. My "mentor" actually gave me a test measurement strap like yours. I had a lady friends of ours who wanted a belt so I handed it to her and told her to put it on and tell me what hole it was.

My mistake was in not watching and asking if that was where she wore her BELTED pants. At the time, she was wearing sweat pants and the belt was for low-rider jeans.

A 4" mistake.... Darn curvey women <g>

Well you have to keep in mind that Thomas Jefferson said that all men were created equal. Women on the other hand are proof that our Creator has a sense of humor and us equally created men are the butt of the joke. After all, they have them "hips" that befuddle us in more ways than one.

All jokes aside, a few years ago I took on a job for a custom gun belt for a rather famous lady SASS member that turned into an engineering project. It's a one of a kind. That bring said, is there a right way to make a belt? Yes. Is there only one way? Heck no. The point is that sometimes you can hit the nail over the phone but most of the time we have to meet with the person and work out the bugs before we cut. Your not the only one that's had to re-do an order. Ouch!

Jim

Here's a photo to let you see what was involved in the gun belt. It's not a typical single drop gun belt, it is a one of a kind.

Jim

post-141-0-92586200-1422717980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim

Is her nickname "The Lone Rangerette"

Sorry, . . . could not help myself, . . . bad jokes are worse for me than Snickers,........................

May God bless,

Dwight