Sign in to follow this  
sodapop

1st knife sheath for a deer hunter

whoohoo my 3rd completed piece lol...i think i'm averagin one thing a month :head_hurts_kr: hehe...i'm slow but deliberate=0)...anyways, heres a prototype of a sheath i'm making for a customer...but this will be remade with some minor design changes...also this one is lined as well...why yes he wanted black because it matches his other gear...and it was a vinagroon dip...

and a question while i'm at it...if one was to use resolene for finish...what do you do before puttin on the resolene as far as prep??

sheath4.jpg

sheathknife66.jpg

as always any critiques are more than welcome :thumbsup:

darryl

p.s thanks dave!!

post-6168-1218403327_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1218403758_thumb.jpg

Nice looking sheath, sodapop.

If you're asking about resolene to seal the sheath....there's no need to. In all of my vinegarooned exploits, I've had an almost waxy finish on the leather as a result of the vin. application. The only thing I do is apply a leather conditioner (Aussie, since I have it) and rub it in very well. This will push some of the essential oils and tallows (fats) back into the leather where it belongs.

thanks mike!!...ya thats how i finished this one was just with the aussie...i haven't used resolene yet and the bottle just sits there...and was thinkin about trying it on something...but i guess it will continue to sit for a while more lol

Edited by sodapop

That looks great Darryl. I knew you would get, and I know that one sure is stout.Keep up the good work. Dave

ps:your welcome

much appreciated dave & spider...i should of took a pic of the welt as well...all i can say is that its thick brother hehe

Oh yeah!

What a nice piece but I never doubted really :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I like how round you got the upper edge and the welt is looking really good, nice and even. Looks like you got a nice gloss to it too.

I think the turned leather design is working really well for this design that covers most of the knife.

Nice knife too and they go well together so perhaps black is the right colour for this one.

What is the adjustment(s) you will make?

Tom

Edit: Hey, nice makers stamp you got there. This must be the first time I see it, I think??

Edited by TomSwede

cheers tom!!...the changes will be minor to the main design...hard to explain but more pronounced/exaggerated curvature along the welt line essentually more flow to it...and i may do a whole different tooling/stamp patterns on it...i kind of want to keep this first one for myself just for future reference etc...and imo its nice, happy how it all turned out overall but lacking just a tad...ya know that little extra something that sets it off...or maybe its all in my head :crazy:

ya ummm errrrr ahhh sure on the makers stamp buddy ;) hehe...even though you know tom...i'll point out that daryl (ironic) aka dbarleather made that one for me...he did a great job and a cool cat to work with...even showed plenty of patience when i kept changing my mind back & forth with it :head_hurts_kr:

darryl