MikeRock

Durkopp Machine

This weekend at the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison, WI I picked up a good Durkopp treadle sewing machine. I do NOT have a photo to post until I get the cell phone here.

It is somewhat larger than my Singer 29-4. It had a detachable wooden table. The arm is small, like the Singer but flat on top. It uses the small bobbins, like the patcher.

There are some numbers on the side, very faint. Durkopp K1:17-0-1. No mention of Adler anywhere on the machine.

I know, a photo would help, but is this enough? It came out of an Amish harness shop.

Thanks.

Most respectfully,

Mike Rock

Mike,

I know about them & the story is that the factory got bombed during WW2 & it was never rebuilt.I hate to tell you but parts are real hard to get.

See the pic of the one we have.

Bob

Durkopp Patcher (old).jpg

post-7185-127202169558_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I know about them & the story is that the factory got bombed during WW2 & it was never rebuilt.I hate to tell you but parts are real hard to get.

See the pic of the one we have.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I just left a message at your shop. I will call again Monday.

Now I have to find a parts machine to make what I can't. I do happen to own a machine shop but specialize in making rifled gun barrels.

What we can't make there I can get EDM'd or even investment cast.

That is sure the same machine. If anyone out 'there' has one around, please drop me a note.

How to they stitch harness work?

Most respectfully,

Mike Rock

Thank you Bob. I just left a message at your shop. I will call again Monday.

Now I have to find a parts machine to make what I can't. I do happen to own a machine shop but specialize in making rifled gun barrels.

What we can't make there I can get EDM'd or even investment cast.

That is sure the same machine. If anyone out 'there' has one around, please drop me a note.

How to they stitch harness work?

Most respectfully,

Mike Rock

Mike, if it is indeed a patcher, you won't be doing any heavy stitching with it. Even in great shape a patcher is still doing good to handle two layers of 8 ounce leather. They were built for lighter work, boot tops etc - that long skinny arm and the function of turning the foot (it's a top feed, the foot should turn 360 degrees) were to get inside shoes and boots to sew in patches - hence" the name.

I finally sold my Singer 29-4, and some days am sorry I don't still have it, as there are some things it was just plumb handy for (replacing blown out zippers in spendy a leather duffle bag comes to mind) but it was definitely a limited use machine. For HARNESS, you will need a heavy stitcher. See MISTER Landis :)

http://forums.quiltropolis.net/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=780

My new Cobra will handle a pretty heavy stack of leather, but I prefer to leave it set up for medium to medium heavy work - for BIG stuff, I walk over to the Landis. I'd still sell it if someone would buy it, though - could sure use the shop space!

Kate

Mike,

I'll have to agree w/Kate they won't sew real thick leather & since the top foot feeds the leather it has teeth on the bottom that willl leave alot of marking on top (where you want to to look nice),they also have a very small bobbin.

They are great for small repairs were it doesn't matter what it looks like in work boots,shoes & etc.

I'll give you a call monday.

Bob

Mike, I have one. In fact I just bought it. I haven' had time to try it out yet. I got it cleaned up and it runs smoothly now. I have to find the correct needle for it before I can try it. It appears to be complete. I would consider selling it, I'm located in north Iowa.

3 hours ago, Kamp said:

Mike, I have one. In fact I just bought it. I haven' had time to try it out yet. I got it cleaned up and it runs smoothly now. I have to find the correct needle for it before I can try it. It appears to be complete. I would consider selling it, I'm located in north Iowa.

Do you realize that the topic you replied to tonight is almost 8 years old since the last reply?

If you want to sell your used sewing machine, we have a Market Place section, with a sub-section for used sewing machines. Post your ad there. Include an asking price, a location and a few close up photos.

5 hours ago, Kamp said:

Original needle stem for Dürkopp 17 / 18 is Sys. 657 but they are no longer manufactured. Alternatively System 88 needles will work. Some later model Dürkopp may take 332 LONG needles. 332 LONG has the same length as the 88 but slightly thicker shank.s

I found some System 88 needles on EBay. Will let you know how it works. Someone on a FB leathercraft page told me that Singer 29k parts will interchange w my Durkopp. I find that hard to believe.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:39 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Do you realize that the topic you replied to tonight is almost 8 years old since the last reply?

If you want to sell your used sewing machine, we have a Market Place section, with a sub-section for used sewing machines. Post your ad there. Include an asking price, a location and a few close up photos.

I guess I didn' pay attention to the date, but this has been one of the very few places I have been able to find any info on this machine.

1 hour ago, Kamp said:

Someone on a FB leathercraft page told me that Singer 29k parts will interchange w my Durkopp. I find that hard to believe.

belief me - they don´t - if you have a Dürkopp 17 or 18 no parts from Adler or Singer will fit. Last year I restored a Dürkopp 18 and I have restored  a few Adler 30 and Singer 29K before - there is noting interchangeable. The FB guy probbaly mixed up Dürkopp and Adler (Co. nowadays called Dürkopp-Adler). Some parts of the Adler 30 can be interchanged with the Singer 29K - thats true. Dürkopp and Adler were separate Co. until the early 1990 so its possible that he mixed up something.

The best source for spare parts is a 2nd machine

Edited by Constabulary

What parts are you looking for?  I may have a source.

glenn

Know that  this is an old conversation.  I have a Durkoff of the CL 27 type that seems to be in excellent condition but the needle does not catch the thread from the bobbin. Have found some 88 needles and will try. Does anyone else have any ideas?

2 hours ago, Charlestools said:

Know that  this is an old conversation.  I have a Durkoff of the CL 27 type that seems to be in excellent condition but the needle does not catch the thread from the bobbin. Have found some 88 needles and will try. Does anyone else have any ideas?

If the needle is the correct length and the hook passes above the eye as the needle ascends, the needle may be in backwards. Make sure the scarf faces the hook.