PD186

Help With A Idea For A Easy Wallet Photocarve Or Pattern

Hi I want to have a go at making a wallet and have a premaid liner. So I am after something easy to carve or stamp onto the wallet.

I have only limited craft tools so far and still working on things like walking the tools so something not too hard would be good

Thanks

Phil

What tools do you have, the basic 7? (swivel knife, camouflage, seeder, pear shader, beveler etc)

You can do just about anything with the basic 7 which comes with most beginner leathercraft kits.

If not, you can always do a geometric design around the border with the stamps that you do have, and maybe carve and mat down an initial or a symbol in the center. That's how I made my first coasters :)

What tools do you have, the basic 7? (swivel knife, camouflage, seeder, pear shader, beveler etc)

You can do just about anything with the basic 7 which comes with most beginner leathercraft kits.

If not, you can always do a geometric design around the border with the stamps that you do have, and maybe carve and mat down an initial or a symbol in the center. That's how I made my first coasters :)

I have the basic stamps tools and swivel knife modler tool that came with the starter kit and I have been building up my collection with other tools that make it easer and better finish ,square rule dividers ect.

Hi Phil:

Tandy has a nice selection of free carving patterns on the leather craft library site. I'm pretty sure some of those are suitable for wallets. If none of those work for you, check out the "craft aid tracings." they are $0.99.

https://www.leatherc.../c-85-free.aspx

Edited by Sylvia

What kind of things do you like? I'm assuming it's a wallet for yourself, so what would scream "Phil"

I usually like to check out shutterstock.com for ideas when I'm just messing around. I also have purchased a few images from them to use for customer work.

Following up on Cyber's suggestion, I carve things I like, sometimes with a pattern, sometimes freehand. Then bevel, mat, whatever I want to do. Usually mine are a combo of patterns and freehand like the this shown below I did for a contest on here. The dragon is a combo of paint and dye and the Mare Staring is dye, resolene and then antiquing.

Hi I want to have a go at making a wallet and have a premaid liner. So I am after something easy to carve or stamp onto the wallet.

I have only limited craft tools so far and still working on things like walking the tools so something not too hard would be good

Thanks

Phil

I reccomend getting the "Lucky 7" book from tandy. The first part of the book has a basic pattern that they show how to do step by step. I would suggest you get several wallet backs with it. After you do the first one, do it again, seeking to improve whereever you went wrong on the first one. You may want someone else to look at it and make suggestions if possible. By the time you do the third one, you should have a pretty good idea of the process. Along the way, it helpful for beginners to have some scrap pieces to try differant techniques on before moving to the work in progress. You also may want to post your work in progress on here: I am sure the members here will give you constructive criticism to help you along.