I've finally brought the new red Geom bag to life. For the handle, I ended up using Angelus red dye and finishing it with Natural Carnauba wax creme (Fiebing's). I was really happy with the finish.

post-58453-0-16943900-1425896843_thumb.jpost-58453-0-77404100-1425896833_thumb.j For some reason I can't seem to upload the other photos so if you're interested here's a link to more...

https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/geom-red/

I've finally brought the new red Geom bag to life. For the handle, I ended up using Angelus red dye and finishing it with Natural Carnauba wax creme (Fiebing's). I was really happy with the finish.

attachicon.gifgeomredfront.jpgattachicon.gifbobbles.jpg For some reason I can't seem to upload the other photos so if you're interested here's a link to more...

https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/geom-red/ …

Very nice.

The amount of file space per post is limited. If you resize your pics to 800 x 600 pixels, you'll have lots of room to upload photos.

Tom

Very nice.

The amount of file space per post is limited. If you resize your pics to 800 x 600 pixels, you'll have lots of room to upload photos.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I'll do that next time. :-)

Nice, Kymberly, I'm glad you ended up using veg tanned on the handle rather than suede. I like that the triangle isn't the same on both sides, as well.

Kymberly, since you are using CS5 on a Mac it would be easiest to use your export to web function and set the JPG quality to 75%. That's good enough. That way your pictures should be no bigger than 150 kb even if they are 1200 px in width. If you are having CS5 I would use Fireworks for this kind of job as the compression rate is much better. Fireworks is the better program for the web than Photoshop.

Nice, Kymberly, I'm glad you ended up using veg tanned on the handle rather than suede. I like that the triangle isn't the same on both sides, as well.

Thanks Monica! I was a bit worried when dying the veg tan because I didn't use one smooth motion with a sponge. I only had the applicator that came with the dye and was basically brushing it on which made it a bit darker in some sections more than others. However, in the end it seemed to work out ok. The other thing was that I hole punched before applying the dye which meant the area around where I punched turned a bit darker than the rest. All in all, I was very happy with the result. I did make a bit of a mess though and turned my hands red... ha!

Are you working on a new project?

Kymberly, since you are using CS5 on a Mac it would be easiest to use your export to web function and set the JPG quality to 75%. That's good enough. That way your pictures should be no bigger than 150 kb even if they are 1200 px in width. If you are having CS5 I would use Fireworks for this kind of job as the compression rate is much better. Fireworks is the better program for the web than Photoshop.

Hi Thor,

How did you know!? I'm guessing the photos must have that information embedded in them? Thanks for the advice. I do have Firefox as part of the CS5 creative suite package but have never used it. I'll give it a shot. :-))

It's called meta information ;-) Fireworks not Firefox, but I guess we mean the same thing. It also has an export feature. Didn't use it in a while so I don't really know the path to it right now, but it's easy. Just in case ... http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/fireworks_cs5_help.pdf review pages 217 through 219 or use dummies guide here http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-crop-images-in-adobe-fireworks-cs5.html. The first one is more export specific. The second one is more about cropping and exporting.

It's called meta information ;-) Fireworks not Firefox, but I guess we mean the same thing. It also has an export feature. Didn't use it in a while so I don't really know the path to it right now, but it's easy. Just in case ... http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/fireworks_cs5_help.pdf review pages 217 through 219 or use dummies guide here http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-crop-images-in-adobe-fireworks-cs5.html. The first one is more export specific. The second one is more about cropping and exporting.

haha ops... I meant Fireworks not Firefox! Thanks for all the information and links! :-)

Thanks Monica! I was a bit worried when dying the veg tan because I didn't use one smooth motion with a sponge. I only had the applicator that came with the dye and was basically brushing it on which made it a bit darker in some sections more than others. However, in the end it seemed to work out ok. The other thing was that I hole punched before applying the dye which meant the area around where I punched turned a bit darker than the rest. All in all, I was very happy with the result. I did make a bit of a mess though and turned my hands red... ha!

Are you working on a new project?

Ha, I have some disposable gloves to use when I dye things, but I forget half the time and have multi-colored fingers. I'm trying to get better, though, because I don't think the dye is particularly good for you if you do a lot of it.

I am working on something (you can see it here), and I'm only about a week from being done! It's exciting because it's the first time I've tried piping. Hopefully I did it correctly. Unfortunately, I have to put it aside for a week and replace a zipper I put in the wrong way on another bag.

Ha, I have some disposable gloves to use when I dye things, but I forget half the time and have multi-colored fingers. I'm trying to get better, though, because I don't think the dye is particularly good for you if you do a lot of it.

I am working on something (you can see it here), and I'm only about a week from being done! It's exciting because it's the first time I've tried piping. Hopefully I did it correctly. Unfortunately, I have to put it aside for a week and replace a zipper I put in the wrong way on another bag.

Oh I didn't know it was bad for you. I better use gloves next time!

The new bag you're working on is amazing! I really love it. How are you putting the piping on? Are you using a sewing machine? I can't wait to see the final result. Are those little black and yellow things clamps to ensure pieces are glued well?

Does the leather get damaged a bit if you have to replace a zipper?

My husband says the dyes contain heavy metals, and while that's not really a problem for occasional use it could become problematic if you handle the stuff every day for twenty years. As I'm hoping to do leatherworking for more than twenty years, I figure I should use gloves. Unless I forget. Which happens all the time.

Thanks! I'm really trying to make a man-bag this time. I keep trying and things go south. Or feminine, I should say. The piping is just an extra strip of leather folded between the gusset and the bag - I've never even done piping in fabric before, so I can only assume that's the normal way to do it. I'm sewing it all by hand, mostly because I get so frustrated with machines. And I'm short on machine work space. And long on small children who would just love to mess with the settings on a sewing machine.

Yes, I was gluing a few straps together (clamped while they dried) before sewing them on.

It probably would get damaged (though I think not too bad, unless I'm heavy-handed), but I'm actually replacing the whole top of the gusset, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My husband says the dyes contain heavy metals, and while that's not really a problem for occasional use it could become problematic if you handle the stuff every day for twenty years. As I'm hoping to do leatherworking for more than twenty years, I figure I should use gloves. Unless I forget. Which happens all the time.

Thanks! I'm really trying to make a man-bag this time. I keep trying and things go south. Or feminine, I should say. The piping is just an extra strip of leather folded between the gusset and the bag - I've never even done piping in fabric before, so I can only assume that's the normal way to do it. I'm sewing it all by hand, mostly because I get so frustrated with machines. And I'm short on machine work space. And long on small children who would just love to mess with the settings on a sewing machine.

Yes, I was gluing a few straps together (clamped while they dried) before sewing them on.

It probably would get damaged (though I think not too bad, unless I'm heavy-handed), but I'm actually replacing the whole top of the gusset, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, that makes sense re the dye. It was probably mentioned on the back of the box or on the instructions... ha! I really have to pay more attention.

Well it looks like it's really coming along. I can't believe you do most of it by hand. I have tried saddle stitching when making wallets but haven't tried making a bag that way yet. I've

only just started learning how to sew by watching videos online. The reason is because I've been lining the bags and creating pockets etc. However, I think sewing by hand must give you much more control and I'd like to learn how to do that well.

I'm just so impressed with your work... it's just so professional and beautiful. :-)

I know, there's something really nice about a bag lined with a cool fabric. I'm teetering on the edge, trying to decide about lining. But then you have to figure out how to get it to stay on without fraying, etc. Folded between two layers of leather with edge tape or something? I've seen so many bags that are fine, but the frayed lining really makes you feel like the bag is toast.

Saddle stitching isn't hard, and it's actually very relaxing. You do have to plan on everything taking a while, but there's a separate market for things that are saddle stitched, so it's not a complete waste of time.

Thanks, likewise! I'm interested to see what you keep making. I love the mixed leather and fabric, and there are so many things you can do with that. By the way, I am seriously in love with the gold silk lining you used on the Lulu evening bag. Really gives it some serious class. Using recycled fabric and leather forces your products into unusual circumstances and looks that I think really make it look unique. But they also don't look cobbled together like so many upcycled and recycled things. They look like very intentional fashion statements, and I think that's cool.

I know, there's something really nice about a bag lined with a cool fabric. I'm teetering on the edge, trying to decide about lining. But then you have to figure out how to get it to stay on without fraying, etc. Folded between two layers of leather with edge tape or something? I've seen so many bags that are fine, but the frayed lining really makes you feel like the bag is toast.

Saddle stitching isn't hard, and it's actually very relaxing. You do have to plan on everything taking a while, but there's a separate market for things that are saddle stitched, so it's not a complete waste of time.

Thanks, likewise! I'm interested to see what you keep making. I love the mixed leather and fabric, and there are so many things you can do with that. By the way, I am seriously in love with the gold silk lining you used on the Lulu evening bag. Really gives it some serious class. Using recycled fabric and leather forces your products into unusual circumstances and looks that I think really make it look unique. But they also don't look cobbled together like so many upcycled and recycled things. They look like very intentional fashion statements, and I think that's cool.

Sorry it took me so long to respond!! Yes, lining is difficult but you can stop the fraying by adding a fusible interlining. The first tote bag I made was a disaster for this reason. It turned out well but the fabric was fraying on the edges... it was really frustrating because I worked so hard on it. Live and learn!

I've tried saddle stitching on a wallet but not on a bag. I may need to do it on my next project as I've been asked to design two clutch bags.

I was SO lucky with that silk. I found three meters of the gold and of the red... regular price was over £60 pounds for each but I got it for £15 on sale. I'll be very sad when it runs out!!

I'm still planning to use some recycled material but at the moment I'm using new leather and suede... and silk. I just finished a new Geom bag in espresso brown because someone wanted to have a more classic look without the geometric shapes. I'm about to start work on these new clutch bags and I am a bit worried. The request was for one in a light lime green suede and the other in a tan leather. The suede will be tricky because it's floppy... and for a clutch it has to be stiff. The colour is also a problem... just can't find the light lime green she wants. I've not made a proper clutch bag before so am not sure what people do... maybe line them with some sort of stiff plastic and then cover the inside...emmm not sure. Any ideas on this?? I thought I might suggest skip the suede and use a veg tan leather ... maybe I can dye it the right colour... Tarrago has the right colour... hmmm really not sure!!!

Here's where I'm going with it though... https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com

How is your new bag coming along? Gees, your work is soooo professional... LOVE IT so much... :-)

NP - I am an internet junky, so I always reply right away.

What you need is this: post-38542-0-00390300-1426704303_thumb.j (I found it on pinterest)

Too bad you live in the UK - Springfield has several lime leathers, in both suede and normal that they sell by the square foot in their bag and chap leathers: http://springfieldleather.com/18229/Hide%2CMiracleUphlstry%2CLime/

Check out Maverick Leather company: http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/

They might be inexpensive enough to justify sending it overseas. They're great to work with, and they certainly have reds, though I haven't seen a lime.

Saddle stitching is actually easier on a bag, because there are so many stitches it doesn't matter if you mess one or two up. However, what you are doing works, no need to change it.

Sorry, I'm absolutely clueless on making clutches. Maybe check youtube? You could make it out of veg tanned and mold the veg tanned. It gets almost as hard as wood. However, it's hard to control dyes. You'd have to experiment to get just the right shade. Mix green with yellow, and maybe dilute it with lacquer thinner. But if you dilute it too much, the brown will show through as the leather darkens. Maybe you could mold veg tanned and then cover it with lime? Probably way too convoluted. I'll keep an eye out on your blog to see what you end up doing.

Mine's creeping along slowly... gotta' make a strap and then I'll post pictures of it.

By the way, I love the new red and white geom bag with the red silk interior. I love the smaller triangles especially.