STPENNER

This really sucks

OK, first off I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but this really sucks. I got into a wreck a couple weeks ago and broke my left wrist. After getting xrays done the doc said that it had been fractured for well over a year (news to me) and when I landed on it, it broke clean in two. So I had to have a bone graft done and screws put in. They have it cast from my elbow right down to the tip of my thumb. Now I'm right handed and all, but do you have any idea how hard it is to do ANY kind of leather work with one hand. Oh, and of course, now that I can't do anything it seems like the phone won't stop ringing for people calling wanting this that or something else done. I know, it could be alot worse, and I apologize for whining, I just needed to vent.

Edited by STPENNER

Thats about the worst thing to happen to a craftsman. We all hope you get functional quicker than you think.

It reminds me of a Mash episode where a pianist lost the use of one of his hands. Winchester gave him some sheet music for the left hand only. And he told him to not give up his passion, but to re utilize it by teaching, or unusual one hand pieces.

Now hopefully this is only temporary for you, but you might take this opportunity to explore some things. Maybe you can't pound with a hammer, but if your fingers can move, possibly learn how to braid out some things. Or Track down the local Boy/Girl Scouts, and teach a few kids. Let them do the work.

Everyone else will jump in with hopes and suggestions for you I'm sure. Maybe someone close to you can pick up some slack to handle your customers for a bit.

In the meantime, do what the doc says, and get better quick!

Go to the local Home Depot or welding supply and grab a pair of C-clamp style vise grips with the big flat pads for parts contact add a thick pc of leather to the contact pad of your work clamp to work surface and off you go. you should be able to do some one handed work.

Tank

Edited by ptanks56

Sorry to hear you are laid up, but I bet you will be surprised at the innovative ways you figure out to do something! Glad to hear the phone is ringing too. Most people are pretty good at waiting if they know there is a good reason and they are given as accuate a time line as you can give them. If you are asked to do physio when the casts come off - DO IT! That type of stuff can speed up your recovery amazingly and get you back to full range of movement where just "living and doing" can leave you with problems. Too bad it had to happen. Glad we live in a part of the world where the fix is available. Take care of yourself.