Bobby hdflame

What Kind Of Rawhide Maul Do You Use?

I want to get a new rawhide maul. Right now I'm using a 1 lb rawhide hammer but I want to try a maul.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Do you like the round type or tapered? Why?<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What weight do you like? I'm thinking 2 lb.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">What brand, and where to purchase?<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">I'm looking at this one:<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">http://www.wrising.c...2&products_id=7 <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Thanks for the guidance in advance.

Well, I screwed that first post up! Let me see if I can make it easier to read.

I want to get a new rawhide maul. Right now I'm using a 1 lb rawhide hammer but I want to try a maul. Do you like the round type or tapered? Why? What weight do you like? I'm thinking 2 lb. What brand, and where to purchase? I'm looking at this one: http://www.wrising.c...2&products_id=7

Thanks for the guidance in advance.

I want to get a new rawhide maul. Right now I'm using a 1 lb rawhide hammer but I want to try a maul. Do you like the round type or tapered? Why? What weight do you like? I'm thinking 2 lb. What brand, and where to purchase? I'm looking at this one: http://www.wrising.c...2&products_id=7

I have their 1lb maul. It's ok, I got what I paid for . I was not happy with the customer service but as long as it arrives intact You should be fine. If you can afford it get one from the Bear

Maul guys.

Edited by mlapaglia

Keep in mind, it may not seem like it but just moving up a few ounces makes a big difference. Most folks I know use somewhere between a 16 and 21 oz maul to tool. On larger toolings, even a 21 ounce starts to feel heavy...32oz (2lb) would have me taking advil after about 45 minutes. My heaviest maul is 28 ounces and that will run a hole punch or lacing prong through 12oz leather without much help from me. As for makers, my personal favorites are Beary & Ed "The Bearman" and Barry King makes a decent maul as well. The nice thing about custom maul makers is they can make the exact weight you want and provide a pretty handle too. The poly materials the Bears and King use are much better than rawhide IMO. As for tapered & straight, I like straight myself but some folks like tapered as you don't have to lift your arm as much to strike the tool. I like straight simply because I don't have to worry about lateral glancing of the maul head if my arm is out of position.

Cheers,

Chris

Keep in mind, it may not seem like it but just moving up a few ounces makes a big difference. Most folks I know use somewhere between a 16 and 21 oz maul to tool. On larger toolings, even a 21 ounce starts to feel heavy...32oz (2lb) would have me taking advil after about 45 minutes. My heaviest maul is 28 ounces and that will run a hole punch or lacing prong through 12oz leather without much help from me. As for makers, my personal favorites are Beary & Ed "The Bearman" and Barry King makes a decent maul as well. The nice thing about custom maul makers is they can make the exact weight you want and provide a pretty handle too. The poly materials the Bears and King use are much better than rawhide IMO. As for tapered & straight, I like straight myself but some folks like tapered as you don't have to lift your arm as much to strike the tool. I like straight simply because I don't have to worry about lateral glancing of the maul head if my arm is out of position.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for your insight. I've decided to order from Bear. Now I just have to decide on what weights. I think I'm getting 2, along with one of his custom stands. Man, are they good looking mauls!

Anybody else have a preference on weights?

Just a side note to further muddle the waters but I currently have 4 mauls (3 Bears and one AS) in: 9, 16, 21, 28 oz. ;) The 9: light tooling/texture, 16: general purpose and all around tooling, 21: heavier backgrounding & basketweaves, 28: hole, slit and slot punching

Just a side note to further muddle the waters but I currently have 4 mauls (3 Bears and one AS) in: 9, 16, 21, 28 oz. ;) The 9: light tooling/texture, 16: general purpose and all around tooling, 21: heavier backgrounding & basketweaves, 28: hole, slit and slot punching

I also have a 21oz maul from Bearman and Beary. It just plain rocks. I mostly do basketweave and other stuff like that so I got a 21oz and with the way that it balances, it feels much lighter then it is. Keeps me working for longer without the wrist strain. Thinking about maybe getting a lighter one, around the 9oz mark for some of my lighter tooling as well.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

I appreciate yours, and everyone else opinions. I am still relatively new to leatherwork. I actually do more sewing than leather right now but I expect that to equal out more when I get my new Cobra from Steve.

I was thinking about what you said about straight and tapered. I'm trying to understand about the dynamics without ever having used one. Couldn't you get the same lateral glancing with a straight maul if you were not lined up properly? I was thinking on the tapered just so I didn't have to hold my arm as high. I figured the older I get, the easier it would be to use.

Anyone else have thoughts on tapered and straight?

My 1st maul was a cheep 18oz tapered one from " wood is good" , I got I way back before I had even touched a piece of leather ( got I for wood working). Still like and use this maul and think for the mony they can't be beat. I have one or more mauls now from ever maker mentioned in this thread and will give bearman my vote for the best out there. There is a appeal to the "old classiness" of a rawhide maul but I can't think of any other reason to go with one over the polymer ones made today. Back to the tapered vs streaght, from what I have been told the tapered is sad to be easer on the elbows but most leather workers use a straght maul becouse it gives you a more even blow when hitting down from the side in a up and down or twisting motion. The tapered IMO is better for when you are striking down in a hammer like motion and nothing else. I can see the reasoning behind the first statement of being easer on the elbow but I have a bad radial nerve and have never noticed a difference. So I would just go with a streaght maul.

I got a poly headed mallet from these guys (the 11oz one for 9.99) and I like it a lot for tooling. I also bought a 16oz one from Barry King and I find it too heavy for tooling... at least until I get used to not trying to drive the tool through the table.

I've been told that rawhide is old technology and they require replacement due to their becoming ratty over time.

Syl

Thanks to everybody for making suggestions and comments. cheers.gif

I've totally gone in a different path than from the way this thread started! I decided to order 2 mauls from Ed the Bear Man, one in 18 oz. and one in 22 oz.

I can't wait to hear back from him. I'll post some pictures when I get them. He said it'd be several weeks...he's backed up like me! Now, off this computer and back to work. This is my weekend off from the fire station but I stayed up till after midnight last night and been working most of the day today (Sunday).