I just got these finished up. Another one of my Duke rigs, a 4.5" Arizona Ranger style cartridge Belt with antiqued hardware, and a old style half flap holster.

Frank

post-8516-0-86932500-1358703659_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-57056400-1358703687_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-78674400-1358703693_thumb.jp

Both look beautiful, almost too good to use!

Great work....slick and professional

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it.

These are great! Super clean work!

Outstanding :notworthy: But, isn't that more than a 10 clip mag I mean belt :dunno:

I am honored to a part of this craft and forum. Gents like Frank inspire you to keep trucking and one day be as good as them! Thanks Frank!

Thanks everyone. Yeah, it's a few more than 10 rounds Jon. Imagine if it was a 50 inch belt instead of a 36 inch belt!! With 45 rounds on there, it is definitely a brute of a belt. I saw one in an old photo and thought it would be neat to add to the website. Mototech7; I appreciate the compliments and glad that I could help at least inspire people a little bit. I just consider myself and "average" leather worker. The day we stop bettering ourselves, is the day we either die or are put into the history books. I hope neither is in my near future!! We have some of the best leather workers on this site. I won't mention any names but they have inspired me a lot.

Frank

Hard to find words here . There is a group of leather workers who are at the top of their game and you are solidly seated at that table. Good as it gets , hardly seems to cover this work . I cant do stuff that good in my dreams so I am jealous to say the least . LOL Thank you for posting this and sharing your work with us . I consider myself lucky to have seen this work . Its a real treat ! Thank You ! Bill

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it.

Frank, on the Duke rig what is the main belt made of?

Chris

Bill,

I am very humbled when I hear such words from people. A great many of my customers have said words on the same lines as yours. I'm always humbled but I don't see it the same way as everyone else. I have seen very few holsters and belts made by large companies so I have nothing to compare my work to except the next job gets compared to the last. My heartfelt thanks for the sincere compliments.

Chris,

The outer layer is a 6.25" wide piece of 4-5 ounce suede and the inner layer is a 3" wide 4-5 ounce veg tan. I fold and glue the suede over the veg tan and it gives the belt enough meat that it doesn't roll the edge over while you are wearing it. I only use rubber cement when doing this, in case a I have a little issue with the suede stretching. Most of the time I cut the suede wider and glue the veg tan on one edge of the suede and then glue the back side and roll it over. This way, if the fold is a little off (not as tight) in one area, I won't run off the edge of the suede when it's folded. I just cut the excess off after stitching. I hope I explained that well enough.

Frank

Bill,

I am very humbled when I hear such words from people. A great many of my customers have said words on the same lines as yours. I'm always humbled but I don't see it the same way as everyone else. I have seen very few holsters and belts made by large companies so I have nothing to compare my work to except the next job gets compared to the last. My heartfelt thanks for the sincere compliments.

Chris,

The outer layer is a 6.25" wide piece of 4-5 ounce suede and the inner layer is a 3" wide 4-5 ounce veg tan. I fold and glue the suede over the veg tan and it gives the belt enough meat that it doesn't roll the edge over while you are wearing it. I only use rubber cement when doing this, in case a I have a little issue with the suede stretching. Most of the time I cut the suede wider and glue the veg tan on one edge of the suede and then glue the back side and roll it over. This way, if the fold is a little off (not as tight) in one area, I won't run off the edge of the suede when it's folded. I just cut the excess off after stitching. I hope I explained that well enough.

Frank

Well Frank,

I am a big John Wayne fan and you hit out of the park. Well Done!

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm a big fan here too. I studied that rig for a couple of years and went through a lot of patterns making it. I went down to the National Cowboy Heritage Museum to see one of his rigs. I took a lot of photos and just stared at the darn thing for more than an hour. I changed a few things just to make the belt a little nicer and stronger, but no one seems to think it detracts from the originality at all.

Frank

Thanks Chris. I'm a big fan here too. I studied that rig for a couple of years and went through a lot of patterns making it. I went down to the National Cowboy Heritage Museum to see one of his rigs. I took a lot of photos and just stared at the darn thing for more than an hour. I changed a few things just to make the belt a little nicer and stronger, but no one seems to think it detracts from the originality at all.

Frank

I was always under the impression the belt was a thick canvas with leather. I only made that assumption threw watching his movies. I am glad you helped me clear that up. If you ever make it to Iowa there is a town called Winterset his birth home. It is now a museum. The last I heard (years ago) they were making ready for the arrival of Ol' Dollar. I have been there and it well worth it if you happen to be going threw Iowa.

Chris

Here a few snaps of my 32-40 carbine

post-25805-0-72880600-1358744681_thumb.j

post-25805-0-61916000-1358744697_thumb.j

Very nice rifle Chris. I have a model 92 with the large loop in .44. I also have the same style grips he had, for my original Great Western. I swap them out every once in a while for the good old walnut grips. A lot of people do not know that he used the original Great Westerns in the Shootist, not Colts. As a matter of fact, they were not just a pair, there were 3 of them! If you ever want photos of his stuff, PM me with your email address and I can send you good close-up photos from the museum.

Frank

Very nice rifle Chris. I have a model 92 with the large loop in .44. I also have the same style grips he had, for my original Great Western. I swap them out every once in a while for the good old walnut grips. A lot of people do not know that he used the original Great Westerns in the Shootist, not Colts. As a matter of fact, they were not just a pair, there were 3 of them! If you ever want photos of his stuff, PM me with your email address and I can send you good close-up photos from the museum.

Frank

PM sent.

I am a big John Wayne fan and you hit out of the park. Well Done!

+1 Great job. Big fan of the Duke's work and now yours too!!

Bro Tim

There are a lot of great things about these pieces, but I particularly like your edge work!

Thanks Tim and CountryStyle. Most of my time spent on a project is from doing my edges. I really think that is what makes a custom item really pop. It's the first thing that I look at when I see someone's work. All of my edges are done by hand with canvas. All edges are burnished twice as well. I have a callous the size of Texas on my right thumb and fore finger.