makitmama

Biker Wallet For My Picky Husband- Any Riders Out There?

OK. I work exclusively in garment leather doing bags/purses. I bought my DH a nice tooled leather biker wallet with a chain, since he does lots of riding. On a 3 week trip last summer, he broke two credit cards in it. He also got some hip/back pain and had to move the wallet to a saddle-bag by the end of the trip. So I got him a different one, and it is too long to be comfortable for him.

I am now trying to design his 'perfect' wallet.

He wants: thin overall, good quality leather, no snaps on corners, room for folded bills, credit card slots, no zipper, and no bigger than 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. I got a nice piece of Horween, and have already made version #1 of the interior.

my questions for the group are:

Does a biker wallet have to have a closure? a snap, a buckle, etc from back to front. If it doesn't have a closure, will things fall out? he points out that his double fold wallet has no closure, but ALL the biker wallets have one- and I want to know why.

Secondly, I use a lot of high-quality waxed canvas in my bags/purses. Does anyone have any advice about using it for the interior?

We've been married nearly 40 years, and I love this guy- any input to help me make him happy would be great- and no, I mean happy about his wallet!

Most biker wallets that have the chain on them have the closures because if they happen to fall out and flop around the stuff inside stays put.

yep, that is what I thought. But my analytical husband said 'my wallet doesn't come out any other time, so why worry about it?'

What about incorporating a magnetic closer? No visible snap and something I've not seen done on a biker wallet. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

"The customer is always right" Since its your hubby make sure he has nobody to complain to if he looks down and sees an open and empty wallet dangling from the end of its chain.

Personally I've never had a wallet fall out on a bike. I've had them fall out on 4 wheelers and horses interesting enough. With magnet enclosure I would worry about the magnet attaching to the bike and still allowing the wallet to open. Might be worth a shot but I'm gonna stick with the aint broken aint fixin it mentality.

Being an old Biker, Cantankerous old fellow set in my ways I Know what I want , Dang anyone else, give him what he ask for. It may take a few tries to get it to his liking but you will both be happy. Velcro is not to lumpy yet flexible if you want a closure.

I carry 2.5"x4" card holder with a bill clip that I carry in my front pocket. I have made biker wallets both large and small with the chains and they are cool, I sale them. For me they ether dig in her thigh or are a big lump in my butt, I like to enjoy the ride not show how tuff I am, and I sure don't want to jab her.

thanks, JohnJ. You are exactly right. And since you are local- my husband did the 5 and dime yesterday since it was 72 degrees! I will try the velcro if he doesn't like the current version, which has a button stud.

I need to pay more attn. I didn't see the Tidewater. We rode yesterday and didn't get wet, lucky HUH?

Good luck.