Ferg

Tandy's Single Bends

I would recommend this leather to anyone that wishes to work with a great piece of material. The following is identical to my post in "Show Off".

I received my order of Single Bends from Tandy Friday. Cut a piece off the corner of the 6/7 oz, cased it, slicked it and carved a design on it today.

The design is an old Al Stohlman design that I took a few liberties with. New leather and a new SK-3 swivel knife from Paul. Can I consider that multitasking?

As I said before, the leather is beautiful. I am of the opinion that the European tannery includes the belly on this cut. That is where I cut the piece off for this.

The belly portion seems to have some stretch marks but nothing like some HO I have. I did not hold the leather under warm water instead I simply ran water over it on both

sides. I have wrapped my wet leather in an old terry cloth towel or old T-shirt for years while it is "tempering".

Traced the pattern on the leather with the same moisture content as always. The SK-3 is unbelievably sharp, cuts through this leather like butter. I was using a straight

1/4" blade, I will need to get an angle blade from Paul for this kind of work. This leather is very soft, may have something to do with it being "Belly Leather". Takes

some getting used to when cutting with the swivel knife. Stamping takes a gentle hand with a 16 oz. maul even after the leather is drying out. Tools with all of the

molding tools better than any I have ever used. Clip your finger nails short, they really mark this leather.

Don't look too close at the photo I have enclosed. I need some serious practice with the SK-3 and the leather.

Any comments or questions welcome.

ferg

post-15740-062376000 1294600521_thumb.jp

I was wondering if you have tried to dye it yet? i bought a European side and noticed that it took the dye differently than other leather. I just recently made a belt using two different sides (European side for billet and chape) and those pieces came out a lighter color.

I was wondering if you have tried to dye it yet? i bought a European side and noticed that it took the dye differently than other leather. I just recently made a belt using two different sides (European side for billet and chape) and those pieces came out a lighter color.

No, I haven't. I suspect since it is definitely a soft leather it will take the stain with a "Rush" :)

When I have time I will try it but my guess is, Slow and easy with a brush that has a small amount of stain in the bristles.

ferg

Just some intellectual curiosity:

You mentioned that you purchased leather which you described as a single bend, then described belly as being part of the leather.

If these are single bends, there would be no belly. The bends would be approximately 20-26 inches in width. I am wondering if, perhaps, the leather is a single culatta, not a single bend?

Thanks,

Steve

Just some intellectual curiosity:

You mentioned that you purchased leather which you described as a single bend, then described belly as being part of the leather.

If these are single bends, there would be no belly. The bends would be approximately 20-26 inches in width. I am wondering if, perhaps, the leather is a single culatta, not a single bend?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I noticed when I unrolled the leather it had the looks of at least part of the belly on one side in lieu of a straight side on both edges. Don't think it is a culatta. I would think Tandy would say so if that was fact. According to drawings I have of the different "cuts" of a hide it is definitely a single bend.

ferg