Sign in to follow this  
Clayster

Stamping

I've been practicing with some old inherited and newly purchased stamps and am looking for advice on the following:

Is the intent to break the surface of the leather or just compress it?

I'm sure the next one is somewhat a matter of style, and perhaps even a little subjective, but how hard do you strike the stamp? Do you strike it lightly the first time and then harder the second time to set it or try and get it all in one whallop?

Any other "tricks" that may help?

I appreciate your responses.

Derek

I've been practicing with some old inherited and newly purchased stamps and am looking for advice on the following:

Is the intent to break the surface of the leather or just compress it?

I'm sure the next one is somewhat a matter of style, and perhaps even a little subjective, but how hard do you strike the stamp? Do you strike it lightly the first time and then harder the second time to set it or try and get it all in one whallop?

Any other "tricks" that may help?

I appreciate your responses.

Derek

Stamps work by compressing the surface and in doing so burnishing the leather a bit. You don't want your stamps going through the grain.

It's best to make the impression with one firm strike and not try to hit the stamp a second time on a single impression. It's a really difficult thing to keep the stamp exactly aligned so that you can have that second shot.

It takes some practice and experience to develop a sense for how hard you need to hit a given stamp. Some small stamps, like seeders or stops, will punch right through your leather quite easily and only need a light touch, while larger stamps may take a solid whack.

It's important that your leather be properly cased for stamps to make good impressions.