Frank

Another Classic For A Classic

I just finished up this one for a customer. He wanted the old style SD Myers type jockstrap Lawman rig for an N Frame Smith. He also wanted the tooling to match the era of the holster.

Frank

post-8516-0-29798100-1379865920_thumb.jp

For what it's worth coming from an amateur: BEE-YOU-TEE-FUL!!

By the way, may I ask how you get such a smooth, even flesh side?

I treat the back side of my unlined projects with gum trag and smooth it with the edge of a glass burnisher. But the trag tends to crack up when the leather is flexed.

Thanks very much. I use gum trag as well for my unlined items. I use 4-5 coats (let dry in between) and rub it briskly with a piece of cloth. I've never had any issues with it cracking when it's being flexed.

Frank

Thanks very much. I use gum trag as well for my unlined items. I use 4-5 coats (let dry in between) and rub it briskly with a piece of cloth. I've never had any issues with it cracking when it's being flexed.

Frank

Thanks, Frank.

Cheers,

Rudi

Nice job Frank what is the finish very nice.

Thanks everyone. No problem at all Rudi. Hopefully you have better luck with it. I forgot to mention that I also cut mine with about 40% distilled water. One gallon of gum trag makes almost 2 gallons for me.

The finish is Fiebings Bag Kote. I rarely use anything else. I just like the depth that it gives.

Great rig Frank, great eye for detail. I'm betting your customer is very happy!

That is beautiful work!

I'm guna try your 40% distilled water mix.

I normally use about 50/50 tap water and haven’t had any problems but there’s always room for improvement and I try not to miss a chance to learn something new..

Thanks Eaglestroker and Pappy. I appreciate it. Pappy; I used distilled water simply because I have no idea what they put in the city water supply, so I would rather that not sit stewing in my gum trag, bag kote, etc.

Frank

Beautiful workmanship. I like it.

In regards to the back side of the holster, is that Herman Oak? Im betting its either HO or Wicket Craig or one of the other quality brands of veg tan leather. They all have a great back to start. Then with the Gum Trag you can get a great looking back side.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

I'm glad everyone likes it. It's a style I have not seen in a while.

mlapaglia; Thanks for taking the time to notice and comment on my nice backside :rofl: Yes, it is Wickett & Craig. Unless it's a split, they generally are pretty smooth and easy to seal.

Frank

Absolutely stunning work!

Outstanding design and execution on the holster and gunbelt Frank. I'm not comfortable commenting on your backside, but to each their own :cowboy:

Thanks Josh and JackD. At least hearing from my fellow leather workers, lets me know I am doing something right. And since you're both from Missouri, I'll let you in on a little secret....I'm originally from Missouri as well. Love the area and have a lot of friends there.

As far as needing an apprentice, I really do not have enough work or space here for 2 people. Where are you located? I might be able to do a 1 on 1 when time permits. You can PM me if that suits you.

Frank

Absolutely beautiful work. Outstanding design and execution.

Thanks very much Lobo. That definitely means a lot coming from you. I do appreciate it.

Frank

I'm not comfortable commenting on your backside, but to each their own

LOL!

Hey Josh, not being restricted by such worries, I got out a substantial improvement of my own backside. I’ll take a picture (though this ain’t easy at all) and post it shortly.

Cheers,

Rudi

Edited by LederRudi

Magnificent!

Thanks for all of the great compliments. This was the first fully floral carved belt and holster that I have had a request for. I have not had the chance to complete one before and I was extremely pleased with the end result.

Frank

Excellent work.

I'm currently working on a holster based on a Myres pattern, tool.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

For what its worth I worked for SD Myers in the late 50's-early 60's and it looks pretty much like then.