ducjes

Step By Step: Shell Cordovan & Baby Calf Bifold

I decided to document my process for making a hand stitched wallet a few nights ago. This is a fully handstitched 6 slot, 2 hidden slot custom bifold made from Clayton Navy Shell Cordovan and European Medium Brown Baby Calf. Just a warning, the album *is* 104 images in total... so I really do go into every single step.

mKWN7Oj.jpgwv8feb0.jpgiZurkzB.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!

Where do you get your shell cordovan?

Looks like you ended up with the navy hide I was looking at getting last fall...

Edited by 25b

Wow a very nice tutorial...Thanks for sharing this with us!

What is the weight of that leather?

Nice work. What's your SPI? Looks like about 6. I'd bump it up a little, 8 or 9.

Where do you get your shell cordovan?

Looks like you ended up with the navy hide I was looking at getting last fall...

Clayton & Sons for this particular shell.

What is the weight of that leather?

Exterior is around 4.5 oz. Interior is around 1.5 oz.

Nice work. What's your SPI? Looks like about 6. I'd bump it up a little, 8 or 9.

This is 6 SPI chosen by the customer. I can do 8 as well. They wanted a more casual look.

Clayton & Sons for this particular shell.

I figured it was clayton, but I was asking where you buy it from...you don't buy it directly from Clayton do you?

Very nice. Thank you for taking the time....

Nice tutorial.

Unless there is a special white "bees wax", I would guess you used "paraffin wax" which gives a higher gloss.

Bob Stelmack

Nice tutorial.

Unless there is a special white "bees wax", I would guess you used "paraffin wax" which gives a higher gloss.

Bob Stelmack

It is actually a mixture of beeswax and parafin wax.

It is actually a mixture of beeswax and parafin wax.

Thank you for the added information. Like tips like those are very helpful.

Bob Stelmack

Where do you buy your Clayton shell cordovan, please? I've been trying to find someone who sells it for a very long time, so I'd appreciate it very much if you could please tell me where you bought it. The Shinki cordovan also, please.

Edited by 25b

What an amazing tutorial! The design of how the pockets attach to the lining is very beautiful and the step-by-steps are super helpful. Thank you for such a wonderful post.

I'd like to know where you got both of the leathers, please? Great tutorial too, BTW !

Doug C

Where did you get the hardware you used on that press to cut the pockets out?

Jim

Very helpful, but I do not have dies or a press to cut out the pieces, can you give dimensions?

That was a well done explanation about how it was done. I have a couple questions. What OZ leather did you use? The second question is the contrasting thread color, was that chosen by the customer?

That was a well done explanation about how it was done. I have a couple questions. What OZ leather did you use? The second question is the contrasting thread color, was that chosen by the customer?

It depends on the project. I often use 4 ounce for exteriors and 2 - 3 ounce for interiors. All leathers and threads are chosen by the customer.

Nice job!  Wondering though why the stitching on the tops of the hidden pockets?  Is there a lining behind there that I missed?  I usually leave those unstitched so they resemble the other pockets.